Squad details correct up to and including Portugal's match against Korean Republic on 14 June 2002.
Friday, 12 July 2002 - Joao Pinto has been banned from club and international football until October 17 for punching a referee during the World Cup finals. He had originally been suspended after striking Argentinian referee Angel Sanchez in a melee after being shown a red card during Portugal's 1-0 defeat to Korea, which sent the Portuguese crashing out of the tournament. FIFA's disciplinary committee today imposed a six-month suspension, but said two of those were considered a partial suspension, meaning the 30-year-old Sporting Lisbon player will be allowed to play again in October. Pinto was also placed probation for one year, meaning that if he commits a similar offence during that period he must serve the additional two months suspension. He was also ordered to pay a fine of 50,000 Swiss francs ($33,700) and he will also have to meet the procedural costs of 15,000 Swiss francs.
Friday, 19 July 2002 - Goalkeeper Joaquim Silva, known as Quim, has been suspended for six months for testing positive for the banned anabolic steroid nandrolone, the disciplinary commission of the Portuguese Football League revealed Friday. The suspension will finish on August 15, ten days before the Portuguese league gets underway. Quim, 26, had been suspended as a precautionary measure on February 15 after testing positive last October following a Portuguese first division match between his team Sporting Braga and Maritimo Funchal. A 'B' test at the end of January confirmed the test although Quim continued to protest his innocence. As a result of the precautionary ban Quim, who had played 13 times for his country, was not selected by coach Antonio Oliveira for the squad for the World Cup.
Tuesday, 23 July 2002 - Midfielder Paulo Bento has announced his retirement from international football, becoming the latest member of his country's World Cup squad to hang up their boots.
Saturday, 3 August 2002 - Defender Jorge Costa said today he was retiring from the country's national team. "I am leaving the national team because I am conscious my time has come, it is time to make room for younger players." He becomes the fifth Portuguese player to retire from international football in the last month, after Paulo Sousa, Dimas, Paulo Bento and Pedro Barbosa.
Wednesday, 14 August 2002 - Portugal national youth coach Agostinho Oliveira has been appointed as the temporary first-team coach, replacing Antonio Oliveira who resigned after his team's first round exit from the World Cup. Agostinho Oliveira will train Portugal for friendlies against England and against Sweden. He has worked for the Portuguese Football Federation since 1989, in which time he has led sides to the European under-16 and under-18 titles.
Thursday, 29 August 2002 - Fourteen of the 22-man squad named by coach Agostinho Oliveira played in the World Cup Finals. Benfica winger Simao Sabrosa, who missed the World Cup through injury, has earned a recall after a four month absence.
Monday, 2 September 2002 - Deportivo La Coruña's Portuguese defender Jorge Andrade is likely to be sidelined for up to two months after breaking a bone in his foot during his team's 4-2 defeat against Real Betis on Sunday. Malaga's Litos has been called up to replace him.
Tuesday, 3 September 2002 -
Litos has failed to recover from the knock he picked up at the weekend
against Recreativo Huelva and withdrawn from Portugal squad to face