England Football Online
Page Last Updated 16 March 2012
Players Index

Arnold Hills

Old Harrovians AFC

1 appearance, 0 goals

P 1 W 1 D 0 L 0 F 5: A 4
100% successful


disciplined: none
minutes played:


Full name Arnold Frank Hills B.A.
Born 12 March 1857 in Denmark Hill, Camberwell, Surrey [registered as Arnold Hills in Lambeth, June 1857].
notes: Camberwell was in the Surrey Registration County up until 1889.

Census Notes

According to the 1861 census, Arnold Frank is the youngest of five children to Frank C. and Ann Ellen. His father is a manufacturer of chimneys. They live with two servants in Denmark Hill in St Marys', Lambeth.

According to the 1871 census, Arnold is a pupil in Holbrook.

According to the 1881 census, Arnold F is residing with his widowed father and three of his siblings at the Hotel Cecil at 14/15 Albermarle Street in St George Hanover Square, Westminster.

According to the 1891 census, Arnold F. is now married to Mary Elizabeth. He is a Ship builer and Ironmaster.  They live at Devon House in the High Road in Chigwell, Epping. He has two children, to Mary Monica and Arthur Lafone. They have six servants.
First of many entrants in the GWR Shareholders list was in 1892, Arnold was one of the excutors of will of Frank Clarke Hills, who had died on 3 May 1892. Arnold's address was stated as Buckhurst Hill, Woodford in Essex.
Again, in 1896, upon the deaths of Frank Ernest Hills on 5 November 1895 and Edward Henry Hills on 11 December 1895, Arnold was again executor, residing at Monkhams in Woodford Green.

According to the 1901 census, A.F. still married to Mary E. they have three more children, Constance M, Elizabeth U and Agnes Helen. They have fourteen children and they all live at Monkhams in Woodford Green, West Ham.
Arnold Frank Hills is confirmed in the 1901 Kelly's Handbook as residing at Monkhams.
Arnold once again was executor of several of Edward Rawlings' wills, after his death on 30 June 1906. Arnold's address is stated as 17 Philpot Lane in central London.

According to the 1911 census, Arnold F. and his wife with two of their children are at Rosemount in Grand Parade, Eastbourne. Living? Holidaying? He is now chairman of Thames Ironworks and lives with six servants, one secretary and one nurse. The census return revals that they had five children.
Arnold was finally executor of John Harvey's will, he died on 2 December 1915, but the will was not executed until 10 September 1924, where Arnold's address is still stated as 17 Philpot Lane.

Married to Mary Elizabeth Lafone [registered as Arnold Frank Hills in Staines, June 1886].
Died 7 March 1927, aged 69 years 360 days [registered in Sevenoaks, Kent, March 1927].
Height/Weight not known


Douglas Lammings' An English Football Internationalist Who's Who [1990] & FindMyPast.com

Club Career

Club(s) Attended Harrow School, playing football 1875-76, captain in his last year; Went on to Oxford University, earning his Blue 1877-78; then played his regular football for Old Harrovians FC;
Club honours FA Cup runners-up 1876-77;
Individual honours None
Distinctions He was the AAA mile champion of 1878.


Douglas Lammings' An English Football Internationalist Who's Who [1990].

England Career

Player number One of eight who became the 63rd players (66) to appear for England.
Position(s) Forward.
Only match No. 9, 5 April 1879, England 5 Scotland 4, a friendly match at The Surrey Cricket Ground, The Oval, Kennington, London, aged 22 years 24 days;
Major tournaments None
Team honours None
Individual honours None
Distinctions None

Beyond England

In 1880 Hills joined the board of his father's company, Thames Ironworks & Shipbuilding. He initially lived in the East India Dock Road in Canning Town. He became concerned about the living conditions of the local people. Hills commented that "the lack of recreational facilities was one of the worst deprivations in the lives of West Ham residents". He added "the perpetual difficulty of West Ham is its poverty, it is rich only in its population."  Thames Ironworks & Shipbuilding occupied 30 acres of land at West Ham on the Essex side of Bow Creek and was London's last surviving major shipbuilding firm. In 1860 it had employed 6,000 men, but by 1880 it was in decline and was suffering from serious competition from companies based on the Clyde and in the north of England.  On the death of his father, Hills became the managing director of the Thames Ironworks & Shipbuilding Company.  
Hills was also the first President of the London Vegetarian Society in 1888, and the Vegetarian Cycling and Athletic Club, and served as President of a London Vegetarian Rambling Club.  He founded The Vegetarian, an independent magazine, as well as the Vegetarian Federal Union in 1889, of which he was also President.  He also had close ties with the Temperence League
. - An English Football Internationalists' Who's Who. Douglas Lamming (1990). Hatton Press, p.120./Oxford University Association Football Club website/Spartacus Educational Net.


Arnold Hills - Career Statistics
Squads Apps Mins. Goals Goals Av.min Capt. Disc.
1 1 90 0 0 min none none
Due to the fact that many matches rarely stuck to exactly ninety minutes long, allowing time for injuries, errors and substitutions.  The minutes here given can only ever be a guideline and cannot therefore be accurate, only an approximation.


Arnold Hills - Match Record - All Matches - By Type of Match
Type P W D L F A GD FTS CS FAv AAv Pts % W/L
Home - Friendly 1 1 0 0 5 4 +1 0 0 5.00 4.00 100.0 +1
All 1 1 0 0 5 4 +1 0 0 5.00 4.00 100.0 +1


Arnold Hills - Match History
 Club: Old Harrovians F.C. - 1 full cap

Coach: F.A. Committee (Charles Alcock) - 1 full capx

Age 22
1 9 5 April 1879 - England 5 Scotland 4, The Surrey Cricket Ground, Kennington Fr HW Start for