England Football Online
Players Index Page Last Updated
5 March 2020

Tony Leach

Sheffield Wednesday FC

2 appearances, 0 goals

P 2 W 2 D 0 L 0 F 9: A 1
100% successful


captain: none
minutes played:


Full name Thomas Leach
Born 23 September 1903 in Wincobank, Sheffield, West Riding of Yorkshire [registered in Rotherham, December 1903].
Birthnotes One source states that he was born in Rotherham. It is true that he was registered in Rotherham, but Wincobank was closer to the Rotherham Registary Office, than it was to Sheffield's. Beside's - the only Thomas Leach in the 1911 census who was living in Rotherham...was born in Blackburn.

Census Notes

According to the 1911 census, the only Thomas Leach in Sheffield area was living in the shadow of Hillsborough stadium, at 25 Winster Road. He is the third of six children (a seventh had died!) to Edward and Theresa. His father is an asphalter.

According to the 1939 register, Thomas, a woollen willeyer, is married to Norah, and with his two children, John and Leo, are living at 24 Cross Chapel Street in the Headingley area of Leeds.
Married to Norah Allsopp (b.19 April 1903) [registered in Dewsbury, June 1927]. Two children, John M. (b.1927) and Leo (b.17 April 1929)
Died summer 1970, aged 66 years nk days [registered in Bradford, September 1970].
Height/Weight 5' 10½", 11st. 9lbs [1930].


Douglas Lammings' An English Football Internationalist Who's Who [1990] & FindMyPast.com

Club Career

Club(s) Turned out for Wath Athletic FC in 1924 before joining Wednesday FC in 1926. After 238 league appearances and eleven goals, he was placed on the 'transfer list' and Newcastle United FC signed him on 16 June 1934 for £1100. Following 51 league appearances and two goals, and despite being linked to a move to Hartlepools United FC, Stockport County AFC paid £300 for his services on 22 July 1936, but his time there was short as he was transferred to Carlisle United FC on 3 February 1937 in exchange for centre-forward, Joe Mantle. Lincoln City AFC took Leach on 12 September 1938 and he retired at the outbreak of the war.
Club honours Football League Division One Champions 1928-29, 1929-30; FA Charity Shield runners-up 1930; Football League Division Three (North) winners 1936-37;
Individual honours Football League (one appearance)
Distinctions Played town cricket with Thornecliffe CC and Retford CC. Was also successful at Bowls in the local circuit.


Douglas Lammings' An English Football Internationalist Who's Who [1990].

England Career

Player number One of five who became the 553rd players (553) to appear for England.
Position(s) Centre-half
First match No. 173, 20 October 1930, England 5 Ireland 1, a British Championship match at Bramall Lane, Highfield, Sheffield, aged 27 years 27 days.
Last match No. 174, 22 November 1930, Wales 0 England 4, a British Championship match at The Racecourse, Mold Road, Wrexham, aged 27 years 60 days.
Major tournaments British Championship 1930-31;
Team honours British Championship shared 1930-31;
Individual honours None
Distinctions None

Beyond England

No additional information. - An English Football Internationalists' Who's Who. Douglas Lamming (1990). Hatton Press, p.155.

England Disgrace

"One of the greatest soccer sensations since the Leeds City affair just after the War, was caused in football circles to-day when the Football Association made public the findings of the Joint Commission of the F.A. and Football League which sat recently. A Stockport County director has been suspended sine die and fined; Tony Leach, the former Newcastle United centre half, has been fined and suspended for one month, and a number of other players have been fined. The Commission was appointed to inquire into, and deal with, alleged breaches of the rules of the Association, and of the regulations of the Football League, by the chairman of Stockport County, the manager of Carlisle United, and players of Carlisle United and Hartlepools United during season 1936-37. The drastic decisions included the following:- That T. Leach, now a player with Lincoln City, be fined £20 and suspended from all football under the jurisdiction of the Football Association for four weeks from January 3. The following facts were admitted or proved: (a) That Mr G. Worsley, a director of Stockport County F.C., in contravention of Rule 43 of the Rules of the Football Association and Regulation 71 of the Regulations of the Football League, offered a sum of money to T. Leach, then a player of Carlisle United F.C., for distribution among the players of the Carlisle team at the conclusion of their match v. Lincoln City on Thursday, April 15, 1937. (b) That Leach accepted a sum of money and disbursed it in equal amounts to the following players: W. Adey, J. W. Cliffe, D. Galloway, F. Higgs, J. C. Johnson, T. M. Kerr, T. Leach, H. Mills, H. O'Grady, N. E. Roberts, and W. Smith. (c) That Mr G. Worsley journeyed to Lincoln on Saturday, April 17, 1937, for the purpose of attempting to affect the result of the match by illegal payments to the players of the Carlisle United team, provided that they beat Lincoln City F.C. on that day.
"The events at the end of the 1936-37 season involved in the inquiry will be better understood after perusal of the following summary:- On Saturday, April 10, with less than a month of the season left, Lincoln City were top of the Third Division (Northern Section) table with 55 points, and Stockport were second with 53, each club having played 38 games. To that date Lincoln had lost only one of their previous 16 matches. In the four remaining games they were beaten three times―by Carlisle United, Hartlepools United, and Stockport County. Carlisle beat Lincoln 3-1 on April 15, but Lincoln won the return match two days later and kept the position at the head of the table. On April 19 Stockport beat Crewe in mid-week and drew level with Lincoln at 57 points each. The vital games took place on April 24. Stockport drew at Chester, but Lincoln went down 3-1 at Hartlepools. These results left Stockport one point ahead and the final match to play. As it happened this was against Lincoln, and the teams met at Stockport with Lincoln needing to win outright in order to gain promotion, Stockport won 2-0. Stockport kept their place in the Second Division only one season. Stockport are at present 12th in the League Three (North) table, but have reached the third round of the F.A. Cup.
" - Tuesday, 3 January 1939, Sunderland Echo


Tony Leach - Career Statistics
Squads Apps comp. apps Mins. Goals goals ave.min comp. goals Capt. Disc.
2 2 2 180 0 0 min 0 none none
minutes are an approximation, due to the fact that many matches rarely stick to exactly ninety minutes long, allowing time for injuries and errors.


Tony Leach - Match Record - All Matches - By Type of Match
Type P W D L F A GD FTS CS FAv AAv Pts % W/L
Home 1 1 0 0 5 1 +4 0 0 5.00 1.00 100.0 +1
Away 1 1 0 0 4 0 +4 0 1 4.00 0.00 100.0 +1
All - British Championship 2 2 0 0 9 1 +8 0 1 4.50 0.50 100.0 +2


Tony Leach - Match Record - Tournament Matches
British Championship Competition
Type P W D L F A GD FTS CS FAv AAv Pts% W/L
BC 1930-31 2 2 0 0 9 1 +8 0 1 4.50 0.50 100.0 +2
BC All 2 2 0 0 9 1 +8 0 1 4.50 0.50 100.0 +2
All Competition
Type P W D L F A GD FTS CS FAv AAv Pts% W/L
BC 2 2 0 0 9 1 +8 0 1 4.50 0.50 100.0 +2
All 2 2 0 0 9 1 +8 0 1 4.50 0.50 100.0 +2

Tony Leach - Match History
 Club: Sheffield Wednesday F.C. - two full appearances (180 min)

F.A. International Select Committee - two full appearances (180 min)x

Age 27
1 173 20 October 1930 - England 5 Ireland 1, Bramall Lane, Sheffield BC HW Start ch
2 174 22 November 1930 - Wales 0 England 4, The Racecourse, Wrexham BC AW Start ch