England Football Online
           Under 23 Results                                  Page Last Updated 7 October 2022 Cymru
'U23' 25 vs. Italy
previous senior match
(77 days)
345 vs. Wales

next match (21 days)
'U23' 27 vs. Scotland

Wednesday, 8 February 1961
International Friendly Intermediate Match

England 2 Wales 0 [1-0]

Goodison Park, Goodison Road, Walton, Liverpool, Lancashire
Kick-off (GMT): 7.30pm

Attendance: '27,235'; (floodlit)
unknown kicked-off
[1-0] Chris Crowe penalty 30
 'walloped home.'
(Burton fouled Clark)

[2-0] Bobby Moore free-kick 63
 'Moore's free kick was diverted in by a defender while the referee was pushing back Wales's defensive wall.'
(Nurse fouled Allen)
There is no Television or Radio coverage
Officials from Scotland England UK ruling on substitutes Wales
M. Gilbert Bowman
yellow flag             Linesmen                red flag
J. Darie J.M. McWhan
England Intermediate Team


No official ranking system established; Colours: The 1959 Bukta home uniform - White v-necked short-sleeved continental jerseys, blue shorts, socks to be confirmed.
John Angus
first match, W 0 - D 1 - L 0 - F 1 - A 1.
Manager: Ronald Greenwood, 39 (11 November 1921), appointed over the 1959 summer, also assistant manager of Arsenal FC;
tenth intermediate match, W 5 - D 3 - L 2 - F 23 - A 17.
trainer: Fred Ford
Team chosen by the Intermediate Selection Committee, headed by Len Shipman, on Monday, 30 January.
England Lineup
  eight changes from the previous U23 match league position (30 January)  
Banks, Gordon 23
40 days
30 December 1937 G Leicester City FC (FL 8th) 1 0ᵍᵃ
2 Angus, John 22
159 days
2 September 1938 RB Burnley FC (FL 4th) 6 0
87 3 Byrne, Gerald 22
163 days
29 August 1938 LB Liverpool FC (FL2 3rd) 1 0
only U23 app 1961
88 4 Kirkham, John Kenneth 19
271 days
13 May 1941 RHB Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (FL 2nd) 1 0
5 Labone, Brian 21
16 days
23 January 1940 CHB Everton FC (FL 5th) 2 0
Moore, Robert F.C. 19
302 days
12 April 1941 LHB West Ham United FC (FL 9th) 2 1
89 7 Riley, Howard 22
174 days
18 August 1938 OR Leicester City FC (FL 8th) 1 0
only U23 app 1961
Crowe, Christopher 21
242 days
11 June 1939 IR Blackburn Rovers FC (FL 11th) 3 2
90 9 Byrne, John J. 21
271 days
13 May 1939 CF Crystal Palace FC (FL4 TOP) 1 0
91 10 Allen, Leslie William 23
157 days
4 September 1937 IL Tottenham Hotspur FC (FL TOP) 1 0
only U23 app 1961
92 11 Clark, Clive 20
58 days
12 December 1940 OL West Bromwich Albion FC (FL 16th) 1 0
only U23 app 1961
reserve: Johnny Smith (Tottenham Hotspur FC (FL TOP)).
pre-match notes: The Under-23 side had a practice match at Anfield, Liverpool on Monday evening, 6th, against the Senior side, who were having their second winter get-together. The Senior side came out as 2-0 victors in the fifty-minute practice match (Brabrook and Smith the scorers). On Tuesday, the party trained in Southport.
team notes: The original chosen outside-left was Mick O'Grady (Huddersfield Town AFC (FL2 18th)), who was replaced by Clark on 3 February. O'Grady is required by his club for their FA Cup fourth round replay tie against Barnsley FC.
Johnny Byrne becomes the first player to earn his trade in the fourth division to represent England.
"After 30 minutes Brain Labone suffered a severe head knock in collision with Herbie Williams of Swansea, and was slightly concussed and had double vision from that point. At the interval Walter Winterbottom advised him to go to left half for a time until he felt better. Labone completed the match, but had treatment from the doctor at the finish and was still unwell when he arrived home.''
2-3-5 Banks -
G.Byrne -
Kirkham, Labone, Moore -
Riley, Crowe,
J.Byrne, Allen, Clark.
Averages: Age 21 years 231 days Appearances/Goals 1.8 0.1
Wales Team


No official ranking system established; Colours: Made by Umbro - Red continental jerseys with white v-neck collars/cuffs, white shorts with red side stripe, red socks with white tops.
Capt: Mel Nurse Manager:  
Wales Lineup
1 Hollins, David M. 22
272 days
4 February 1938 G Brighton & Hove Albion FC, England
2 Hughes, Brian, injured off half time 23
78 days
22 November 1937 RB Swansea Town FC
3 Williams, Graham E. 22
312 days
2 April 1938 LB West Bromwich Albion FC, England
4 England H. Michael 19
68 days
2 December 1941 RHB Blackburn Rovers FC, England
5 Nurse, Melvyn T.G. 23
120 days
11 October 1937 CHB Swansea Town FC
6 Hole, Barrington G. 18
145 days
16 September 1942 LHB Cardiff City FC 1 0
7 Jones, Barrie S. 19
121 days
10 October 1941 OR Swansea Town FC 1 0
8 Moore, Graham 19
338 days
7 March 1941 IR Cardiff City FC
9 Burton, Alwyn D. 19
89 days
11 November 1941 CF Newport County FC 1 0
10 Williams, Hebert J. 20
125 days
6 October 1940 IL Swansea Town FC 1 0
11 Jones, Frederick G. 23
28 days
11 January 1938 OL Swindon Town FC, England
Wales Substitute
  Griffiths, Arfon T., on for Hughes at half-time 19
169 days
23 August 1941 CF

Arsenal FC, England

"Though no substitutions are permitted in home internationals, a friendly gesture by England allowed tiny Arfon Griffiths to come on"
reserve: none
team notes: Barrie Hole was a late replacement for the original-named left half, and clubmate, Steve Gammon.
"After 19 minutes Brian Hughes pulled a thigh muscle chasing the jet-paced Clive Clark. He hobbled at outside-right for the rest of the half with Ollie Burton switching from centre-forward to take his place."
2-3-5 Hollins -
(Burton), G.Williams -
England, Nurse, Hole -
B.Jones, Moore, Burton (Griffiths), H.Williams, F.Jones
Averages: (start)
Age 21 years 31 days
20 years 271 days
               Match Report by Ken Jones, Daily Mirror, Thursday, 9 February 1961

DAVE HOLLINS, Brighton reserve goalkeeper, who will quit Soccer unless he gets a transfer, produced wonder form in the first half to keep out the Young England attack at Goodison Park, here tonight. Playing his first game for six weeks, Hollins sparkled after a shaky start, and made at least three saves from shots that could have put England into an unbeatable position at half-time.
His best effort was a brilliant, one-handed save from a Bobby Moore diving header that looked certain to hit the far corner of the net. But Hollins had no chance with a thirtieth minute penalty kick that inside right Chris Crowe walloped home after left winger Clive Clarke had been brought down by Ollie Burton. Centre forward Burton, playing at right back because Brian Hughes had been forced out on the right wing through a thigh muscle injury, had his hands full with the former Queen's Park Rangers left winger. Just afterwards Clark forced Hollins to make another diving save with a header. Centre half Mel Nurse helped Hollins to keep Wales out of more trouble before the interval. England dominated the game in midfield.
   Nurse, a full international, shattered Crystal Palace centre forward Johnny Byrne with some shuddering tackles.
Despite some neat football, Wales couldn't manage a shot until the thirty-second minute. And then a thundering twenty-five yarder from Swansea reserve inside-forward Herbie Williams was kicked over for a corner by goalkeeper Gordon Banks. Hollins was in the picture again with a save at Spurs inside forward Les Allen's feet.
   Arfon Griffiths, bought for £12,000 by Arsenal from Wrexham last week, came on at the start of the second half as a substitute for the injured Hughes.
Griffiths, at 5ft. 2in. one of the smallest players in League football, almost started with a goal when Swindon outside left Freddie Jones put him through in the forty-eighth minute. With Griffiths in the attack, Wales began to look more dangerous and the Arsenal forward went near to grabbing himself a goal in the fifty-third minute when he met a right wing cross and nodded it down at Banks's feet. England went further ahead in the sixty-third minute—and Wales were right out of luck this time. Centre half Mel Nurse brought Allen down just outside the penalty area and Moore's free kick was diverted in by a defender while referee Gibby Bowman was pushing back Wales's defensive wall. Right winger Barrie Jones started to sparkle for Wales and he beat two defenders before hitting a fifteen yarder just wide of the near post. Afterwards Jones had a shot deflected and then brought a fine save from Banks. Byrne got England going by sending Allen away with a neat pass through the middle, but the Spurs man hit his shot wide. Then Wolves wing half John Kirkham joined in a brilliant England move to take a return pass before shooting at Hollins. 


               Match Report as appears in the F.A. Yearbook 1961-62 pages 39 & 40

For the match against Wales at Goodison Park, Everton, England made several changes in the team which had drawn with Italy. Banks played in goal instead of Macedo, G. Byrne came in at left-back, while Kirkham was preferred to Mullery at right-half. The entire forward line was changed. Although England deserved to win, their success was not impressive. Unlike the match against Italy, the defence played well but the attack rarely moved smoothly. The Welsh forwards had little opportunity to get within close range of Banks. Full-back Hughes was injured and had to move to the wing. Burton, who had fallen back in defence, fouled Clark and Crowe scored from the penalty. England added a second goal after sixty-three minutes following another foul just outside the penalty area; Moore's hit completely deceived Hollins in goal. 

               Source Notes
OffiOfficial matchday programme
FA Yearbook 1961-62
  Rothman's Yearbooks
Original newspaper reports