England Football Online
Results 1872-1890
Page Last Updated 8 May 2024


15 vs. Scotland
previous match
(14 days)
18 vs. Ireland
next match (350 days)
20 vs. Ireland
21 vs. Scotland
22 vs. Wales
Saturday, 10 March 1883
Association Friendly Match

England 2 Scotland 3 [2-2]

Yorkshire County Cricket Ground, Bramall Lane, Highfield, Sheffield, West Riding of Yorkshire
Kick-off (GMT): 'at 3.34 p.m.'
Attendance: 'seven or eight thousand spectators'; 'from 8,000 to 10,000 spectators'.
"Special provision, in the shape of stand accommodation, had been made by the sub-committee appointed the FA to superintend the arrangements."

Season Record
England's third home match away from London. First visit to Sheffield and to Yorkshire
Harry Goodhart kicked-off Andrew Holm won the toss
[0-1] Harry Cursham scores: disallowed
Clement Mitchell 24
 'sent it under the crossbar' disputed offside
the fiftieth goal scored against England>
Nevill Cobbold 44
 'Goodhart overcame all opposition, passed to Cobbold, who completed with a rapid shot'
[0-1] John Smith 22
'shoved the ball past Swepstone'
<England's fifth equalising goal
[1-2] John Smith 39
'received the ball from Kay, steered the ball'
<England's sixth equalising goal &
the 25th goal conceded overall by Scotland
the 75th goal scored overall by Scotland>
some Scottish reports state that Eadie Fraser scored.
[2-2] Miller scores from free-kick: disallowed
[2-3] John Smith 88 HAT-TRICK
 'sent the leather swiftly to Swepstone who backed under his posts to throw out'
"The snow had been swept off the turf, a severe frost prevailed, the ground, though somewhat thawed by the sun, was dreadfully dangerous"

Match Summary

Officials [umpires and referees are of equal relevance]


Team Records



"the shilling entrance, instead of the usual sixpence, certainly seemed to have a deteriorating effect on the numerical greatness of the gathering"

Thomas Lawrie
Scottish FA vice-President
John Charles Clegg
32 (15 June 1850), Sheffield Sheffield FA President.
played for England in 1872
John Sinclair (not Sam Sinclair)
27 (27 August 1855), Belfast (Irish FA hon.treasurer)
P 1 - W 0 - D 0 - L 1 - F 2 - A 3. played in the 1882 England-Ireland fixture

England Team

Rank No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 2nd
Colours "The English Eleven were attired in all white..."
"The English players sported the usual white jersey...'
Captain Norman Bailey Selection The Football Association Committee with Secretary Charles W. Alcock having the primary influence.
most captaincies so far
P 5 of 15, W 1 - D 0 - L 4 - F 12 - A 19. P 19 of 31, W 7 - D 2 - L 10 - F 56 - A 51.
  team chosen at 23 Paternaster Row on Tuesday evening, 27 February 1883
England Lineup
(a new record low four changes to the previous match)
  Swepstone, H. Albemarle 24
55 days
14 January 1859 G Pilgrims FC & Corinthians FC 6 17ᵍᵃ
most gk apps
final app 1880-83
  de Paravicini, Percy J. 20
238 days
15 July 1862 RB Cambridge University AFC & Old Etonians AFC 3 0
final app 1883
  Jones, Alfred 22
54 days
15 January 1861 LB Great Lever FC 3 0
final app 1882-83
  Bailey, Norman C. 25
230 days
23 July 1857 Half
Clapham Rovers FC 9 0
=mst aps
  MacRae, Stuart 27
93 days
7 December 1855
in Bengal, India
Notts County FC & Corinthians FC 3 0
  Whateley, Oliver 20
214 days
8 August 1862 OR Aston Villa FC 2 2
final app 1883
  Cursham, Arthur W. 29
361 days
14 March 1853 IR Notts County FC 6 2
final app 1883
Mitchell, Clement 21
18 days
20 February 1862 Centre
Upton Park FC & Corinthians FC 4 4
  Goodhart, Harry C. 24
236 days
17 July 1858 Old Etonians AFC & Corinthians FC 3 0
final app 1883
Cobbold W. Nevill 20
34 days
4 February 1863 IL Cambridge University AFC & Old Carthusians AFC 2 3
  Cursham, Henry A. 23
303 days
27 November 1859 OL Notts County FC & Corinthians FC 7 2
reserves: not known
team changes: Harry Moore (Notts County FC) was named in the original line-up, his place going to Alf Jones.
team notes: After nineteen matches, this is the first to provide no new players.
Arthur and Harry Cursham are brothers, and the first pair to make a second appearance together.
Umpire Charlie Clegg also played for England in the first ever international, and is the older brother of Charlie, who appeared in 1873 and 1879.
appearance notes: Norman Bailey is the second England player to make nine appearances (making him the most experienced player to captain the side so far), whereas Harry Cursham is the fifth player to make seven England appearances, and Clem Mitchell is the tenth to make four appearances. 45 players have now played for England more than once.
records: England set a new record of going 203 minutes without conceding a goal, all under the guardianship of Albemarle Swepstone, and a separate record of going 213 minutes without conceding a goal on home soil. The first goalkeeper to keep two England clean sheets.
England's 14 goals this year/season are scored by record-equalling seven goalscorers.
The second match in which England have scored two equalising goals, after their first in 1880.
Norman Bailey continues his record of being the most experienced England player to have not scored a goal.
"The Englishmen making the Wharncliffe Hotel their headquarters".
2-2-6 Swepstone -
de Paravicini, Jones -
Bailey, Macrae -
Whateley, A.Cursham, Mitchell, Goodhart, Cobbold,
Averages: Age 23 years 215 days Appearances/Goals 4.6 1.0
most experienced so far
England previous teams vs. Scotland:
1882: Swepstone Greenwood Jones Bailey Hunter H.Cursham Parry Vaughton Brown Bambridge Mosforth
1883: de Paravicini MacRae Whateley A.Cursham Mitchell Goodhart Cobbold H.Cursham


Scotland Team

Rank No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 1st
Colours "...while the Scotchmen donned in dark blue jerseys and white trousers"
"...a capital contrast to the dark blue uniform adopted by the Scotch".
Captain Andrew Holm Selection The Scottish Football Association Selection Committee
P 1 of 2, W 1 - D 0 - L 0 - F 3 - A 2. team chosen, following a trial match. on Saturday evening, 3 March 1883
Scotland Lineup
  McAuley, James 22
194 days
28 August 1860 G Dumbarton FC 2 1
  Holm, Andrew H. 23
96 days
4 December 1859 RB Queen's Park FC 2 0
69   Paton, Michael 23
123 days
7 November 1859 LB Dumbarton FC 1 0
  Miller, Peter 25
36 days
2 February 1858 Half
Dumbarton FC 2 0
  McPherson, John Campbell McLeod 28/29 1854 Vale of Leven FC 5 0
  Fraser, Malcolm John Eadie 23
6 days
4 March 1860
in Ontario, Canada
OR Queen's Park FC 4 2
  Anderson, William 20
319 days
25 April 1862 IR Queen's Park FC 2 0
Smith, Dr. John 27
210 days
12 August 1855 Centre
Queen's Park FC 8 7
third hat-trick against England, 3 years after 2nd
70   Inglis, John 23
266 days
17 June 1859 Rangers FC 1 0
  Kay, John Leck 23
185 days
6 September 1857 IL Queen's Park FC 4 3
71   McKinnon, William Nelson 23
277 days
6 June 1859 OL Dumbarton FC 1 0
reserves: Charles Campbell (Queen's Park FC), Francis Shaw (Pollockshields Athletic FC).
team changes: John Forbes was named in the original starting eleven, his place going to Paton.
team notes: James McAuley played as a forward on his debut, scoring one of the five goals, against Wales, 25 March 1882.
records: Scotland's eighth consecutive victory, having not lost since April 1879.
"the Scottish contingent patronised that new handsome hostelry, the Maunche".


McAuley -
Holm, Paton -
Miller, McPherson -
Fraser, Anderson, Smith, Inglis, Kay, McKinnon.
Averages: Age 24 years 95-129 days Appearances/Goals 2.9 0.8
"After the match the players and officials dined together at the Wharncliffe Hotel, whilst Mr. Hamilton, of the Scottish Football Association; Mr. Haigh, of the Hallamshire, and several other friends of football were entertained by Mr. J. R. Harvey, honorary secretary of the Sheffield Football Association, at the Maunche Hotel." - Sheffield Daily Telepgraph, Monday, 12 March 1883.

       Match Report Leeds Mercury, Monday, 12 March 1883

This great international encounter was played at Bramall-lane Ground, Sheffield, on Saturday, and attracted an attendance of from eight to ten thousand spectators. Though the weather was very inclement, the sun shone out with spring-like brilliance throughout the day and mitigated the severity of the frost considerably, thawing the frozen ground, and contrary to anticipation, rendered the ground fairly playable. The highest interest appeared to be centred in the match, and fully an hour before the time announced for the kick-off the gates were besieged by hundreds of eager enthusiasts desirous of securing a good position. The large extemporised stand running nearly the full length of the sphere of play was filled by a large crowd of ladies and gentlemen. The Scotch captain won the toss, and set England to kick-off towards the town with the glaring sun shining right before them. Goodhart started the ball, and after a couple of fine runs by Holm, H. Cursham on the left secured possession and effected a short run, but he was clearly off-side. Fraser responded with a run on the right, and Inglis had a shot at the English goal, but he was wide of the mark. A. W. Cursham followed with a run on the right, and England got a corner, but Bailey dropped the ball outside. Soon afterwards Whateley had a shy at the Scotch fort, and England secured two more corners, the Caledonians being decidedly pressed, and Goodhart directed a shot at their goal which just cleared the cross-bar. The Scots now broke away, but Paravicini returned the leather. Anderson and Fraser then introduced a pretty combined run on the right and a corner was the result of their efforts, but it proved pointless. The Scotch, however, got the advantage of a foul forty or fifty yards from goal, and Macpherson dropping the ball well up, Smith rushed in and scored the first goal for the Caledonians amid vociferous cheering. On resumption, the Scotch obtained another corner, but nothing accrued, and then a shot by Macrae was splendidly saved by Holm. Still another corner to Scotland followed and Fraser took it, but it was soon flying in neutral territory. Hereabouts H. Cursham executed the most brilliant run of the day, but McAulay eventually nullified his exertions. Notwithstanding this, the English returned to the assault, when Whateley centred finely to Mitchell, who went on, and, evading the Scotch custodian, scored the first goal for England, wild applause rewarding the feat. On resumption, McKinnon had a shot at the English stronghold, and soon afterwards Kay, having effected a run on the left, centred to Dr. Smith, who secured a second goal for Scotland. A few minutes later matters were equalised, as after a clever run in the centre Mitchell passed to Cobbold, and the latter again reduced the Scotch stronghold amid deafening plaudits. With scores even excitement now ran high, but half-time was called without further score. The sun had partly disappeared on change of ends, but it was still a little obstructive, though hardly so much to the Scotch as it had been to the English. For fully ten minutes the Caledonian team kept peppering away at the English citadel, and had it not been for the brilliant defence of Macrae, Jones, Paravicini, and Bailey, the fortress must have been captured. Macpherson had a shot which just grazed over the cross-bar, and Smith also steered the ball over the bar. Corners followed to both sides, and the English playing up more strongly, they fired several shies at the Caledonian fort, but the custodian and backs were always on the alert, and warded off the danger. England once were within an ace of scoring, only a brilliant piece of business by McAulay saving his goal. Time after time were assaults made upon either citadel, but all to no effect. Whateley, H. Cursham, Jones, Goodhart, Macrae, Mitchell, and Cobbold exerted themselves like lions on the one side, as did Paton, Holm, Fraser, Kay, Miller, and Inglis on the other; but time was approaching, and the match looked decidedly like ending in a tie—two goals each. The Scotch, however, after a brilliant run on the left by Kay, got up in a body, and the player named centring to Smith, he put the ball through the posts amid deafening plaudits. Ten seconds later time was called, leaving Scotland victorious by three goals to two. It will be noticed that Smith obtained all three goals for Scotland.

       Match Report The Times, Monday, 12 March 1883

The annual match between England and Scotland was played at Sheffield on Saturday. Scotland were successful in the toss, and at the outset had the sun at their backs...
At length another free kick fell to the Scotchmen, and Macpherson was enabled to pass the ball to Smith, who shot it between the posts. Some keen play followed, and Whateley, getting in possession of the ball, passed it to Mitchell, who sent it under the cross-bar...
Smith, who had the ball well centred to him by Kay, scored a second time. Prior to half-time, however, Cobbold again brought the score level...
Ultimately Kay ran the ball down the left side of the ground, and secured a goal, which decided the game...

       North British Mail, Monday, 12 March 1883

A match which will long be remembered for very fast play on a hard and slippery ground.

       The Aberdeen Journal, Monday, 12 March 1883

The snow had been swept off the turf, but a severe frost prevailing, the ground, though somewhat thawed by the sun, was dreadfully dangerous.

              In Other News....
It was on 9 March 1883 that five survivors arrived in Hull after their ship, the S.S. Navarre, had sunk on a voyage from Denmark to Leith, two days earlier. They were rescued by a passing vessel. In all, there were 16 survivors, but around 60 lives had been lost. 

      Source Notes

Scottish FA
Cris Freddi's England Football Factbook
The Football Association Yearbook
James Corbett's England Expects
Original Newspaper Reports