England Football Online
  Page Last Updated 20 July 2017



190 vs. France
192 vs. Hungary

Saturday, 14 April 1934
Home International Championship 1933-34 (46th) Match

England 3 Scotland 0 [1-0]

Match Summary
England Party

Scotland Party

Empire Stadium, Wembley, Middlesex
Attendance: 92,363 (all-ticket - a new record);
Receipts: £20,173 7s.; Kick-off: 3.00pm GMT
Live on National Radio - commentator: George Allison

England - Cliff Bastin (twentyfive yard shot laid on by Brook, spinning into the net off the goalkeepers hands 43), Eric Brook (twenty-five yard free-kick deflected in by Marshall 75), Jack Bowers (header, following Bastin and Brook passing 88)
Results 1930-39

Scotland won the toss, England kicked-off.


Match Summary





Referee - Samuel Thompson
Belfast, Ireland

Linesmen - William Webb, Glasgow and Dr A.W. Barton, Repton School, The Midland Amateur Alliance and the AFA.

The Duke of York was in attendance and was presented to the players. Prime Minister Ramsey Macdonald was also a distinguished guest.

  Goal Attempts  
  Attempts on Target  
  Hit Bar/Post  
  Corner Kicks Won  
  Offside Calls Against  
  Fouls Conceded  

England Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 5th
Colours: The 1923 uniform - White collared jerseys, navy blue or black shorts, black socks with white tops
Capt: Tommy Cooper, first captaincy Selectors: The fourteen-man FA International Selection Committee, following a trial match, on Monday, 9 April 1934.
158th match, W 102 - D 29 - L 27 - F 480 - A 176.
England Lineup
  Moss, Frank 24 5 November 1909 G Arsenal FC 1 0 GA
  Cooper, Thomas 29 9 April 1905 RB Derby County FC 12 0
  Hapgood, Edris A. 25 24 September 1908 LB Arsenal FC 5 0
  Stoker, Lewis 24 31 March 1910 RH Birmingham FC 2 0
  Hart, Ernest A. 32 3 January 1902 CH Leeds United FC 6 0
  Copping, Wilfred 26 17 August 1907 LH Leeds United AFC 6 0
  Crooks, Samuel D. 26 16 January 1908 OR Derby County FC 19 7
  Carter, Horatio S. 20 21 December 1913 IR Sunderland AFC 1 0
Bowers, John W.A. 26 22 February 1908 CF Derby County FC 3 2
Bastin, Clifford S. 22 14 March 1912 IL Arsenal FC 6 4
Brook, Eric F. 26 27 November 1907 OL Manchester City FC 6 4


Eric Keen (Derby County FC) and Joe Beresford (Aston Villa FC).

team notes:

The International Selection Committee had decided when they named the team that they would not number their players, and the players in the 1934 FA Cup Final featuring Manchester City FC and Portsmouth FC would also follow suit in not being numbered.
Eric Brook followed up his free-kick goal in the last match against France with another in this match. The first time England had scored free-kicks in two matches in a row, as well as twice in the same season. This was their sixth successful free-kick.
2-3-5 Moss -
Cooper, Hapgood -
Stoker, Hart, Copping -
Crooks, Carter, Bowers, Bastin, Brook


Age 25.5 Appearances/Goals 6.1 1.3


Scotland Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 10th to 9th
Colours: Dark blue shirts with white collars, white shorts
Capt: Alex Massie Selectors:
Trainer: J. Kerr (Heart of Midlothian FC)
The Scottish Football Association Selection Committee, of seven members, chosen, following the inter-league match, on Monday, 9 April 1934.
Scotland Lineup
  Jackson, John 27 29 November 1906 G Chelsea FC, England 5 14 GA
  Anderson, Andrew 25 21 February 1909 RB Heart of Midlothian FC 5 0
  McGonagle, William 29 30 April 1904 LB The Celtic FC 4 0
  Massie, Alexander 28 13 March 1906 RH Heart of Midlothian FC 6 0
  Smith, Thomas M. 24 4 October 1909 CH Kilmarnock FC 1 0
  Miller, John nk not known LH St. Mirren FC 5 0
  Cook, William L. 28 11 March 1906 OR Bolton Wanderers FC, England 1 0
  Marshall, James 26 3 January 1908 IR Rangers FC 3 0
  Gallacher, Hugh K. 31 2 February 1903 CF Chelsea FC, England 19 24
  Stevenson, George 29 4 April 1905 IL Motherwell FC 11 4
  Connor, James 24 1 June 1909 OL Sunderland AFC, England 3 0


Fraser (Aberdeen FC) and Terry McGibbon (Ayr United FC, both traveling reserves). John Harkness (Heart of Midlothian FC), Cooper (Aberdeen FC), George Cummings (Partick Thistle FC), Moulds (St. Johnstone FC), James McLuckie (Manchester City FC), John Crum (The Celtic FC), Tommy Walker (Heart of Midlothian FC) and James Easson (Portsmouth FC).

team notes:

Initially, Manchester City FC refused to allow Andrew Herd, James McLuckie and Matt Busby to be released for this match. They had their own imperative match against Tottenham Hotspur FC to participate in.
2-3-5 Jackson -
Anderson, McGonagle -
Massie, Smith, Miller -
Cook, Marshall,
Gallacher, Stevenson, Connor


Age 27.1 Appearances/Goals 5.7 2.5


    Match Report by Glen Isherwood

Wales had already retained the British Championship, beating Scotland 3-2 at Ninian Park and England 2-1 at St. James' Park. Scotland had also lost 2-1 to Ireland at Parkhead, and had to win or they would finish bottom for the first time.

Just before half-time Brook passed to Cliff Bastin who let fly with a beauty from 25 yards. The ball was hit hard and low and its swerve was enough to beat Jackson. With 15 minutes remaining an Eric Brook free kick was deflected past Jackson for the second goal. Ten minutes later Brook's cross was headed in by Jack Bowers to repeat the scoreline of 1932 and leave Scotland without a point for the first time.

Scotland recovered to share the Championship the following year with England after beating them at Hampden Park for the fourt time in succession. Strange that they lost on three successive visits to Wembley during the same period.

Source Notes

   Following the announcement yesterday of the England team to meet Scotland, Arsenal sent the following telegram to the headquarters of the Football League:-
   "In view of the fact that three of our players have been selected by the Football Association to represent England on Saturday, and in the interests of ourselves and other League clubs which might possibly be affected in one way or another, would the League Management Committee be prepared to consider the question of postponing Arsenal's League match with Liverpool next week?"
   Mr Jack Rouse, assistant secretary of the Liverpool FC, when told of Arsenal's application said:-"No communication has been received by the Liverpool club concerning a postponement, and never in the history of English football has it been necessary to postpone a League match for the reason stated. Permission has never been given for such a course." - Scotsman, 10 April 1934

   The English Football League Management Committee yesterday said "No" to Arsenal's request to postpone their League match with Liverpool next Saturday, Moss, Hapgood and Bastin having been picked to play for England against Scotland at Wembley.
   In announcing this fact, Mr Fred Howarth, secretary of the League, stated that the decision was unanimous, and based on precedent, as there had been a similar application from Huddersfield Town in March 1928, and this was refused.
   At that time Huddersfield possessed excellent chances of winning the League Championship. They had Goodall, Wilson, Kelly and Smith (H) chosen for England, and Jackson for Scotland; Stephenson and Redfern were injured and Wadsworth was ill. Nevertheless, Huddersfield went to Bury with nine reserves, and won by 3 goals to 2. They finished the season second, and Bury were fifth from top." - Scotsman, 11 April 1934

As it was, whilst England were defeating their Scotch counterparts, Arsenal had travelled to Anfield and beat Liverpool three goals to two. The win kept them four points ahead of rivals Huddersfield Town, who also won, 4-1 over Newcastle United FC. Arsenal also have a game in hand, having played 38 matches, in comparison to Huddersfield's 39.

Scottish Football Association
Scotland - The Complete International Record: Richard Keir
London Hearts
Glen Isherwood's Wembley: The Complete Record (SportsBooks Limited, Cheltenham, U.K., 2006)

original newspaper reports
FA Yearbooks 1950-60