England Football Online
Results 1950-1955                   Page Last Updated 11 May 2022


276 vs. Scotland

previous senior match
(129 days)
284 vs. Hungary
'U23' 01 vs. Italy
previous match
(10 days)
'B' 14 vs. West Germany

next match (43 days)
286 vs. Yugoslavia
'B' 15 vs. Yugoslavia
287 vs. Hungary
'B' 16 vs. Switzerland
294 vs. Scotland
Saturday, 3 April 1954
Home International Championship 1953-54 (59th) Match

Championnat du Monde de Football Group Three Qualification Match

Scotland 2 England 4

Hampden Park, Kinghorn Drive, Mount Florida, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Kick-off (GMT): 3.00pm

Attendance: 134,554;

Players lost since last match
Tommy Lucas (11 December 1953) 58
Vivian Woodward (31 January 1954) 74
Joe Reader (8 March) 88

This week's Music Charts
Jackie Henderson kicked off Billy Wright won the toss
[1-0] Allan Brown 7
 right-footed placed shot from 6yds from a Jack Mackenzie corner going 'ricocheting' between Staniforth's feet

[1-1] Ivor Broadis volley 14
right-footed 10-yard volley from a Tom Finney thro' ball
[1-1] Ronnie Allen scores header - disallowed; offside
"Negotiations between the Scottish Football Association and the British Broadcasting Corporation have taken place, as the result of which the association are unable to grant permission to the B.B.C. for the live broadcasting in their Television Service of any part of the Scotland v. England International, to be played at Hampden Park on April 3, because other matches are being played in Scotland on that day. The association were prepared to grant facilities for a tele-recording of the International for transmission on Monday, April 5, but this alternative was not acceptable to the B.B.C. The 'highlights' of the match will. however, be covered in Television 'Newsreel' on Monday evening, April 5."

100th goal scored in white 1949 jersey>

[2-4] Willie Ormond cross 89

 the wind picked up Ormond's bye-line cross taking it past Merrick 'a mix up between Merrick and Byrne'
many of the Sunday papers state a Byrne own goal
[1-2] Johnny Nicholls header 50
leaping header from 2-yds from a right-sided Tom Finney cross
[1-3] Ronnie Allen header 62
high powerful header from 4-yds following a Jimmy Mullen free-kick
[1-4] Jimmy Mullen header 83
beat George Farm to the ball with a 6-yd header from another perfect Tom Finney cross
- Tuesday, 23 March 1954, Glasgow Herald.
Officials from Northern Ireland Scotland UK ruling on substitutes England
Referee (red)
Thomas James Mitchell
42 (28 January 1912), Lurgan, Ulster
Teams introduced to the Guest of Honour, The Right Honourable James Stuart MVO, MC, MP, Secretary of State for Scotland, as well as The Lord Provost, Sir Amos Hirst, Harry Swan and Sir George Graham.
The National Anthem was sung by Robert Wilson
W. Williams
V. Maxwell
Scotland Team


No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 10th
Colours: Made by Umbro - blue jerseys with white collars, white shorts, blue socks with red tops.
Capt: Sammy Cox Official in charge: Andrew Beattie (40, 11 August 1913) for the upcoming World Cup Finals, current Huddersfield Town AFC manager
First match, W 0 - D 0 - L 1 - F 2 - A 4.
Trainer: Alec Dowdell (The Celtic FC)
The Scottish Football Association Selection Committee, on Wednesday, 24 March 1954
Scotland Lineup
  Farm, George N. 29
264 days
13 July 1924 G Blackpool FC, England 7 14ᵍᵃ
691 2 Haughney, Michael 27
114 days
10 December 1926 RB The Celtic FC 1 0
only app 1954
3 Cox, Samuel R. 29
355 days
13 April 1924 LB Rangers FC 25 0
final app 1948-54
4 Evans, Robert 26
262 days
16 July 1927 RHB The Celtic FC 15 0
5 Brennan, Frank 29
345 days
23 April 1924 CHB Newcastle United FC, England 8 0
final app 1946-54
6 Aitken, George G.M. 28
310 days
28 May 1925 LHB Sunderland AFC, England 8 0
final app 1949-54
Mackenzie, John A. 28
211 days
4 September 1925 OR Partick Thistle FC 2 0
8 Johnstone, Robert 24
208 days
7 September 1929 IR Hibernian FC 9 5
9 Henderson, John G. 22
76 days
17 January 1932 CF Portsmouth FC, England 3 1
Brown, Allan D. 27
173 days
12 October 1926 IL Blackpool FC, England 9 6
692 11
Ormond, William E. 27
39 days
23 February 1927 OL Hibernian FC 1 1
reserves: Travelling reserve is Willie Fernie (The Celtic FC).
Full team of reserves are John Anderson (Leicester City FC); Jock Aird (Burnley FC); Tommy Docherty (Preston North End FC), Frank Brennan (Newcastle United FC) and Doug Cowie (Dundee FC); Tommy Wright (Sunderland AFC) and Willie Fernie (The Celtic FC); Willie Bauld (Hearts of Midlothian FC), Willie Fernie and Billy Liddell (Liverpool FC).
team notes: Frank Brennan replaced Rangers FC's Willie Woodburn at centre-half on 31 March. After three days of discussion, his club withdrew him because of injury concerns.
2-3-5 Farm -
Haughney, Cox -
Evans, Brennan, Aitken -
Mackenzie, Johnstone, Henderson, Brown, Ormond.
Averages: Age 27 years 183 days Appearances/Goals 8.0 1.0
England Team


No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 4th
Colours: The 1949 home uniform - White collared jerseys, blue shorts, red socks.
37th, W 21 - D 9 - L 7 - F 101 - A 58.⁴³
Capt: Billy Wright³
41st W 25 - D 8 - L 8 - F 104 - A 58.⁹⁰
Manager: Walter Winterbottom, 41 (31 March 1913), appointed as FA national director of coaching/team manager on 8 July 1946;
59th match, W 38 - D 12 - L 9 - F 178 - A 79, inc. one abandoned.¹³⁹
Trainer: Jimmy Trotter (Charlton Athletic FC)
Team chosen by Selection Committee, headed by Harold Shentall, on Monday, 29 March.
England Lineup
  record post-war eight changes to the previous match (Merrick, Wright & Dickinson remain) league position (29 March)  
  Merrick, Gilbert H. 32
67 days
26 January 1922 G Birmingham City FC (FL2 5th) 18 29ᵍᵃ
first to 29ᵍᵃ
727 2 Staniforth, Ronald 29
355 days
13 April 1924 RB Huddersfield Town AFC (FL 3rd) 1 0
the 18th Town player to represent England
728 3 Byrne, Roger W. 24
207 days
8 September 1929 LB Manchester United FC (FL 6th) 1 0
the 14th United player to represent England
4 Wright, William A. 30
56 days
6 February 1924 RHB Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (FL 2nd) 56 3
most apps 1952-54
729 5 Clarke, Henry A. 31
39 days
23 February 1923 CHB Tottenham Hotspur FC (FL 14th) 1 0
the 23rd Hotspur player to represent England only app 1954
6 Dickinson, James W. 28
344 days
24 April 1925 LHB Portsmouth FC (FL 13th) 33 0
Finney, Thomas 31
363 days
5 April 1922 OR Preston North End FC (FL 12th) 49 23
Broadis, Ivan A. 31
106 days
18 December 1922 IR Newcastle United FC (FL 17th) 9 5
the 17th United player to represent England
Allen, Ronald 25
78 days
15 January 1929 OR West Bromwich Albion FC (FL TOP) 2 1
730 10 Nicholls, John 23 3 April 1931 IL West Bromwich Albion FC (FL TOP) 1 1
the 29th Albion player to represent England
Mullen, James 31
87 days
6 January 1923 OL Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (FL 2nd) 10 5
reserve: Ken Armstrong (Chelsea FC (FL 7th))
team notes: Johnny Nicholls becomes the 135th England player to score on his debut, only the second to do so in a World Cup match.
Ken Armstrong is the 95th different player chosen by Winterbottom to make the teamsheet.
Ronnie Allen is the 75th different England player to have scored against Scotland.
records: For the second time, England have conceded fourteen goals in a single season.
2-3-5 Merrick -
Staniforth, Byrne -
Wright, Clarke, Dickinson -
Finney, Broadis, Allen, Nicholls, Mullen.
Averages: Age 29 years 356 days Appearances/Goals 16.5 3.1
              Match Report by Mike Payne

Once again the incredible sequence of results between these countries continued with England winning at Hampden. With Scotland's record at Wembley almost as good as England's was in Glasgow, perhaps there was a case for the two sides swapping grounds!

England, still reeling from the devastating defeat at the hands of Hungary at Wembley the previous November, made eight changes for this game. Four new caps were brought in and there were other changes, too. There was an awful lot at stake at the winners of this match gained automatic entry into the 1954 World Cup finals to be held in Switzerland.

The big difference between the sides on this day was in the taking of chances. In this department England gave Scotland a lesson.

A massive crowd of over 134,000 people roared Scotland on in the early stages and the England defenders clung on desperately as chance after chance went begging for the Scots. After three minutes Gil Merrick made a superb save from a point-blank shot by Johnstone. Then Jimmy Dickinson was very relieved to see his attempted clearance slice just wide of his own goal.

Shortly afterwards, Brown missed a golden opportunity, shooting tamely at Merrick after breaking clear of the England defence. The pressure eventually told, though, and after seven minutes Scotland took the lead.

McKenzie sent over a corner which found Brown and, with the aid of a deflection off Ron Staniforth, his shot found the net. The crowd went wild and were baying for the heads of the Auld Enemy. But amongst the new faces in the England side there was also the experience of Billy Wright and Dickinson. Between them they cooly went about steadying the ship.

They were given a boost in the 15th minute when England equalised, and a real gem it was too. Staniforth found Wright with a good pass. The captain moved the ball on to Tom Finney, who was beginning to get the better of Cox. The Preston player sent an inch-perfect pass forward right into the stride of Ivor Broadis. The inside-forward drew Farm from goal before firing a good shot wide of the goalkeeper.

For the remainder of the half Scotland had the better of things but continued to miss chances. They were missing the lively Reilly up front and failed to exploit Harry Clarke's obvious weaknesses to the full. The fact that the scores were still level at the break flattered England somewhat but after half-time the visitors made Scotland pay for their lack of finishing.

Five minutes after the restart England gained the lead they were not to lose. Again Finney was the star of the move. Wright again found the winger with his pass from defence and Finney set off on a mazy dribble that left Cox chasing shadows. When the cross came over Johnny Nicholls dived full length to head home.

Cox was now being given the runaround and the link up that Finney had with Broadis was beginning to dominate. Ronnie Allen too, looked very good with his deep-lying role and sharp pace. Nicholls though was not as promising despite his goal. His missed two good chances before England increased their lead in the 70th minute. This time a deep free-kick by Jimmy Mullen was fiercely headed in by Allen. Near the end England wrapped up  the result with a goal which typified the way the game had gone.

Scotland, once again, were pressing hard. A corner from the right was cleared by Nicholls to Finney, who set off on another superb run. Poor Cox was sent in many different directions before Finney crossed for Mullen to head number four. Scotland, bewildered but battling to the end, did score again in the dying seconds. A swirling cross by Ormond completely deceived both Merrick and Roger Byrne on the goal-line to drop into the net.

So, a win for England and although the game was never a classic, it had many memorable moments.

              Match Report by Norman Giller

The England selectors made eight changes to the team taken apart by Hungary. Johnny Nicholls had good reason to remember his debut. It was his 23rd birthday and he celebrated with England's second goal, a flying header from a Tom Finney cross. Playing alongside his West Bromwich Albion team-mate Ronnie Allen, he was one of four debutants, along with Ron Staniforth, Harry Clarke and Manchester United left-back Roger Byrne, who was to prove himself one of the finest players ever to wear the No 3 shirt. Clarke, 31-year-old centre-half, followed Ditchburn, Ramsey, Willis, Nicholson and Medley as members of the Spurs 'push-and-run' team who were capped after the age of thirty-plus. Roared on by a vast crowd of 134,554, Scotland took the lead in the seventh minute through Blackpool's Allan Brown. Ivor Broadis equalised eight minutes later after penetrating approach work by Wright and Finney. It was the same combination of Wright and Finney that set up England's second goal by birthday boy Nicholls five minutes into the second half. Headed goals by Allen and Jimmy Mullen wrapped the game up for England and guaranteed them going to the World Cup finals as Home Champions. Scotland scored a strange second goal in the last minute when a cross from Willie Ormond suddenly swirled into the net.

              Match Report as appears in the F.A. Yearbook 1954-55, page 28

Only three of the players against Hungary retained their places for the match at Hampden Park, and the team included four new caps. Rain driven by a strong wind made conditions difficult and the pitch treacherous, and Scotland began with a series of penetrating attacks, Brown scoring the first goal in the 7th minute after a corner-kick by McKenzie. At first England did not look like settling down until a fine goal came from Broadis following classic passes between Staniforth, Wright, and Finney. Two misses by Nicholls came next and a low header into the net by Allen which was disallowed as being offside.
With scores still level at the interval, Finney made a brilliant move past Cox and passed to Nicholls whose header put England one up. England's third goal came off Allen's head after a deep free-kick by Mullen. The dominant feature in the English attack was the right wing combination of Broadis and Finney, the latter making a lengthy run completed by a fine centre from which Mullen scored England's fourth goal. Shortly before the final whistle Ormond gave Scotland a second goal, but by then it was no more than a consolation prize.


              Source Notes
Original newspaper reports
Official matchday programme
  Rothman's Yearbooks
Mike Payne's England: The Complete Post-War Record

Norman Giller, Football Author
The Complete Book of the British Charts
British Pathé