England Football Online
Results 1960-1965                    Page Last Updated 7 October 2022


338 vs. Scotland

previous senior match (143 days)
345 vs. Wales

previous match (31 days)
'U23' 28 vs. West Germany

next match (25 days)
347 vs. Mexico
348 vs. Portugal

349 vs. Italy ~
350 vs. Austria

Saturday, 15 April 1961
Home International Championship 1960-61 (66th) Match

England 9 Scotland 3
Empire Stadium, Wembley Park, Wembley, Middlesex
Kick-off (BST): 3.00pm
Attendance: '97,350'; Receipts: '£49,834'.
Johnny Haynes won the toss Scotland kicked off
[1-0] Bobby Robson volley 9
 'Jimmy Greaves found Smith on the right wing. He was up to take a return pass and when he nudged it inside, Robson, rushing in, drove into the corner of the net from outside the area.'
[2-0] Jimmy Greaves 20
 'Johnny Haynes sent a long ball goalwards from inside the Scots half, and Greaves passed two defenders and glided the ball past Haffey.'
[3-0] Jimmy Greaves 29
'tapped the ball into an empty net, after Smith's shot was pushed out poorly by Haffey'
[3-0] Bobby Smith drive grazes the post

3.45 Football Scotland vs. England
5.0 Sports Report 6.0 Guitar Club 6.30 Jazz 7.0 Newsreel 7.24 Football

[4-2] Bryan Douglas 56
 'Jimmy Greaves' free-kick went off a defender to Douglas, he turned the ball into the goal'
claims for offside were turned down
(Billy McNeill fouled Smith)
100th goal at the Stadium under Winterbottom

[5-2] Bobby Smith 75
 'Haynes put Jimmy Greaves away on the right, and when he pushed the ball inside Smith sent a right-foot shot into the far corner'

[6-3] Johnny Haynes 79
 'sold a dummy to break away and from just inside the area shot magnificently across Haffey and into the far corner.'
[7-3] Johnny Haynes 81
[8-3] Jimmy Greaves 82
 'waltzed his way through and beat Haffey once more.'
[9-3] Bobby Smith 85
 'too advantage of a bad mistake by McNeill to stride through.'
[3-1] Dave Mackay free-kick 49
with Springett diving to his left the ball was deflected by Armfield into the opposite corner.'
(Law fouled)
[3-2] Davy Wilson header 54
'Jack MacLeod on the right sent in a high centre over to the far post where Wilson went full length and headed just inside the upright.'

[5-3] Pat Quinn 76
Wilson gained possession inside the area and shot for goal. Quinn, standing in its path, touched as it went through a crowd of defenders and rolled over the line.'
England wore black armbands as mark of respect following the death of former FA Chairman and FIFA President, Arthur Drewry CBE, who died on Saturday, 25 March 1961.

This week's Music Charts
second half live - commentator: tbc
"..." Daily Mirror
Officials from France England UK ruling on substitutes Scotland
Referee (scarlet)
Marcel Lequesne
36 (13 May 1924) Syracuse
Teams presented to the Duke of Edinburgh. Whereas, the Guest of Honour, The Queen, presented the Jubilee Trophy for the first time from the royal box.
"The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were received by Mr. A. G. Doggart, vice-president and vice-chairman of the Football Association. Among those presented to them were Sir Stanley Rous, secretary of the FA, representatives of the Scottish FA and Mr. E. B. Thommen (Switzerland), vice-president of the International Federation of Football Associations."

Lemon ball was used.
flame flag           Linesmen       orange flag
A. Carette R. Poncin
England Team


No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 6th
Colours: The 1959 Bukta home uniform - White v-necked short-sleeved continental jerseys, blue shorts, white socks with red/white/blue calf hoop
eleventh match, W 6 - D 2 - L 3 - F 39 - A 20.³⁵
Johnny Haynes
seventh, W 5 - D 0 - L 2 - F 32 - A 13.²²
Manager: Walter Winterbottom, 47 (31 March 1913), appointed as FA national director of coaching/team manager on 8 July 1946;
120th match, W 68 - D 28 - L 24 - F 339 - A 175, one abandoned.¹³⁹
Trainer: Harold Shepherdson
The team chosen by the Selection Committee, headed by Joe Richards, on Friday, 7 April
England Lineup
  one change from the previous match (Springett>Hodgkinson) league position (7 April)  
  Springett, Ronald D. 25
267 days
22 July 1935 G Sheffield Wednesday FC (FL 2nd) 9 17ᵍᵃ
2 Armfield, James C. 25
206 days
21 September 1935 RB Blackpool FC (FL bottom) 13 0
5 Swan, Peter 24
189 days
8 October 1936 RHB Sheffield Wednesday FC (FL 2nd) 8 0
6 Flowers, Ronald 26
261 days
28 July 1934 LHB Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (FL 3rd) 20 2
the 34th player to reach the 20-app milestone
3 McNeil, Michael 21
67 days
7 February 1940 LB Middlesbrough FC (FL2 5th) 5 0
Robson, Robert W. 28
56 days
18 February 1933 RM West Bromwich Albion FC (FL 11th) 12 3
Haynes, John N. 26
180 days
17 October 1934 LM Fulham FC (FL 18th) 41 18
Douglas, Bryan 26
323 days
27 May 1934 OR Blackburn Rovers FC (FL 6th) 19 5
8 Greaves, James P. 21
54 days
20 February 1940
Chelsea FC (FL 15th)
the 55th (18th post-war) hattrick scored
Smith, Robert A. 28
52 days
22 February 1933 IL Tottenham Hotspur FC (FL TOP) 5 8
11 Charlton, Robert 23
186 days
11 October 1937 OL Manchester United FC (FL 10th) 23 18
reserve: Brian Miller (Burnley FC (FL 4th))
pre-match notes: England played against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in front of a few hundred schoolchildren on Tuesday, 11 April, beating them 4-3, after being 3-1 down (Charlton, Robson, Smith and Douglas for England, a McNeil own goal, Bridges and Block for Chelsesa), and against Arsenal on Wednesday at Highbury, the match finished in a three-all draw. England were again trailing 3-1 with fifteen minutes to go (Charlton, Smith cutting the lead, and Greaves equalising. Henderson, Groves and Eastham for the hosts).
team notes: Jimmy Greaves in the week leading up to the match, was signed by AC Milan. But because of the embargo on foreign players in the Italian League, Milan could only sign Greaves from Chelsea as an 'option to buy', of which they paid £10,000 for the privilege. It allowed Greaves to remain a Chelsea player until the end of the playing season.
stadium notes: Greaves' hat-tick is the fifth by England under the twin towers.
records: England become the first team since themselves in 1954-55 to win all three British Championship ties in a single season.
4-2-4 Springett -
Armfield, Swan, Flowers, McNeil -
Robson, Haynes -
Douglas, Greaves, Smith, Charlton


Age - Appearances/Goals - -


Scotland Team



No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 20th to 22nd
Colours: Made by Umbro - blue continental jerseys with white v-neck collars/cuffs, white shorts, blue socks with red tops.
Capt: Eric Caldow Manager: John Miller McColl, 33 (7 June 1927), appointed before November 1960.
second match, W 1 - D 0 - L 1 - F 8 - 11.
Trainer: Dawson Walker (Clyde FC) Team chosen by Selection Committee on Monday, 3 April 1961.
Scotland Lineup
  Haffey, Francis 22
138 days
28 November 1938 G The Celtic FC 2 10ᵍᵃ
final app 1960-61
755 2 Shearer, Robert 29
107 days
29 December 1931 RB Rangers FC 1 0
3 Caldow, Eric 26
336 days
14 May 1934 LB Rangers FC 28 2
4 Mackay, David C. 26
152 days
14 November 1934 RHB
Tottenham Hotspur FC, England
the sixth direct free-kick conceded by England, the third by Scotland.
756 5 McNeill, William 21
44 days
2 March 1940 CHB The Celtic FC 1 0
6 McCann, Robert John 28
182 days
15 October 1932 LHB Motherwell FC 5 0
final app 1959-61
757 7
McLeod, John M. 22
143 days
23 November 1938 OR Hibernian FC 1 0
8 Law, Denis 21
50 days
24 February 1940 IR Manchester City FC, England 11 3
9 St. John, Ian 22
312 days
7 June 1938 CF Motherwell FC 7 1
758 10
Quinn, Patrick 24
354 days
26 April 1936 IL Motherwell FC 1 1
Wilson, David 22
95 days
10 January 1939 OL Rangers FC 3 1
reserves: Travelling reserve is Duncan MacKay (The Celtic FC).
Full team of reserves are Haffey; MacKay and Jim Kennedy (The Celtic FC); Paddy Crerand (The Celtic FC), Willie Toner (Kilmarnock FC) and Jim Baxter (Rangers FC); Willie Hunter (Motherwell FC) and Quinn; David Herd (Arsenal FC); Ralph Brand (Rangers FC) and Davie McParland (Partick Thistle FC).
team notes: The committee that named the team also named another ten players to make up a 'panel' of players for their World Cup qualification matches against Republic of Ireland and Czechoslovakia next month. They were, in fact, the team that made up the 'reserves',
Airdrieonians FC's goalkeeper Lawrie Leslie was the original chosen goalkeeper. Haffey replaced him on 13 April as he had not sufficiently recovered from an eye injury. He received ten stitches following a clash of heads against Ayr United, which resulted him being carried off two minutes from the end of the game. He was treated with a new drug, but failed to recover.
Unlike captain, Eric Caldow, who received three stitches above his left eye, and Johnny McCann, who had a stomach injury, all sustained over the same weekend prior to the Wembley clash.
Manager Ian McColl debuted for Scotland against England in April 1950, also playing in the 1957 meeting, and earned his fourteenth and final appearance against England in 1958.
2-3-5 Haffey -
Shearer, Caldow -
Mackay, McNeill, McCann -
McLeod, Law, St. John, Quinn, Wilson


Age 23.9 Appearances/Goals 6.8 0.6


              Just saying....

"I PREDICT THAT....Scotland's wee blue Soccer devils of 1961 will shock England at Wembley on Saturday.
Two of the tiny Scottish attack (Denis Law is tallest at 5ft. 9in.) told me after the victory over the Football League that if England selected Peter Swan (centre half) and Mick McNeil (left back) the game was in the bag."
- Sam Leitch, Sunday Mirror, 9 April 1961.

              Match Report by Mike Payne

HER Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh were welcome guests at the England-Scotland clash and if it was goals that the Royal couple liked best in football, then they could not have picked a better match. Two records were broken on the day, first by the margin of England's victory over their old enemy, and also by the fact that never before has Wembley seen as many goals in a single game.

The sun shone on a marvellously colourful sight as the fans waited in eager anticipation for this annual clash. Johnny Haynes won the toss and the England attack swiftly turned on the style that has been so effective in recent internationals.

After ten minutes they were in the lead. Brilliant work by Jimmy Greaves eventually allowed him to feed a pass to Bobby Robson in a good position. The first-time shot put in by the West Brom player gave Haffey no chance to save. Greaves himself was the next to score some nine minutes later, latching on to a Bobby Smith through-ball to hit a splendid shot accurately placed beyond the unfortunate Haffey.

Scotland, who had started brightly, were now in deep trouble and on the half-hour it was that man again Greaves again who proved the thorn in their side. A pin-point pass by the inspirational Haynes — so much of the game revolved around the England skipper — found Smith. He made ground down the right wing before putting over a dangerous centre. Haffey managed a touch but, typically, Greaves was in the right place at the right time to push home the loose ball. Given half a chance, Greaves would punish the opposition so lethally.

Mackay had worked so hard for the besieged Scottish team and Law and Wilson had shown up well. Wilson, in fact, had a goal disallowed by the French referee Monsieur Lequesne. But that was rare threat to England and had they showed a little more steadiness in front of goal, then they might easily have doubled their half-time lead. The army of Scottish fans had had little to cheer in that first period, but within ten minutes of the restart they were in a frenzy of excitement.

On 48 minutes they pulled a goal back, not surprisingly through MacKay. His fierce low free-kick took a deflection of England's defensive wall and left Ron Springett helpless. It was just the tonic Scotland needed and seven minutes later Wilson dived horizontally to get his head to McLeod's cross to close the gap further. Suddenly there was a real match on.

Alas for the visiting fans, their ecstacy lasted barely a minute as England went straight up to the other end to score a decisive fourth goal. Again a free-kick set it up as quick thinking by Greaves saw him flick the ball through a gap for Bryan Douglas to score off of Haffey's fingertips again. Scotland protested about the speed the kick was taken but the referee would have none of it.

Scotland were still able to produce some lovely football at times but they never had a Greaves to finish off their good approach play. In the last 15 minutes, the Scots were left shell-shocked as England stepped up the pace to crush them. It began to rain goals!

Haffey's nightmare continued thus. On 75 minutes Smith, who had previously been kept quiet by McNeill, suddenly popped up to score number five after a Greaves pass had set him up. Scotland perked up for a minute as Quinn received a pass from MacKay and fired in a shot. It passed through a forest of legs before trickling, oh so slowly, past Springett. If that was the end of Scotland's scoring, it certainly was not the end of England's.

Incredibly, in the last 11 minutes they added a further four goals! Haynes scored twice in the 79th minute and 81st minutes before Greaves in the 82nd and Smith in the 85th finished the rout.

The Queen for the first time, presented the Home International trophy to the winning captain and for Haynes it was the icing on the cake to end a magnificent afternoon. Meanwhile, spare a thought for poor Haffey in the Scottish goal. He trudged off, a forlorn figure, devastated by some very high-calibre finishing especially from the magical Greaves.

              Match Report by Norman Giller

This was the peak performance by Walter Winterbottom's new team. Bobby Robson started the ball rolling with a 20-yard shot that left goalkeeper Frank Haffey flapping at empty air in the 9th minute. Greaves struck twice, putting the finishing touches to moves masterminded by Haynes. The Scots, including players of the quality of Billy McNeill, Dave Mackay and lan St John, pulled back to 3-2 early in the second-half before they were sunk under a storm of five goals in eleven minutes. Haffey was picked on by the Scots as the scapegoat for the defeat, and he was cruelly dubbed 'Slap-Haffey'. But neutral observers considered this an exceptional display by England in general and Haynes in particular. He pulled the Scottish defence apart with a procession of precise passes, and was chaired off the pitch by team-mates at the end of the nine-goal slaughter. Hat-trick hero Greaves (12) and Smith (7) had scored nineteen goals between them in five matches at the start of a partnership that was later to flourish for 'Super Spurs' who (minus Greaves) were on their way to becoming the first team of the 20th Century to complete the League and FA Cup double.

              Match Report by Glen Isherwood

On a bright and sunny April afternoon England Springett.

              Match Report as appears in the F.A. Yearbook 1961-62 page 39

On a bright and sunny April afternoon England scored their biggest win against Scotland since the series began in 1872. The brilliant display of the forward-line against a suspect Scottish defence was one of the finest seen at Wembley in post-war years, recalling memories of the great Hungarian lineof 1953. In the ninth minute Robson scored with a magnificent volley from twenty yards, following a neat pass from Greaves. Ten minutes later a combined movement between Armfield, Robson, and Haynes whose through-pass split the Scottish defence, was pounced on by Greaves, who slipped away from two defenders and flicked the ball into the net past the helpless Haffey. England were three-up after half-an-hour when Greaves scored after Haffey had partially saved a drive from Smith. Scotland's hopes of saving the game were now remote but they attacked on the resumption and Mackay reduced the lead from a free-kick awarded for a foul just outside the penalty-area. Five minutes later Wilson dived full-length to head past Springett and England were a little fortunate to make it 4-2 when Douglas scored following a controversial free-kick. From that point England took complete command and goals came at frequent intervals. Greaves made his tally 3; Smith and Haynes each scored 2; and only Quinn could reply for Scotland.

              Source Notes
Original newspaper reports
Official Matchday Programme
The Complete Book of the British Charts
  Rothman's Yearbooks
Mike Payne's England: The Complete Post-War Record
Norman Giller, Football Author
British Pathé