England Football Online
Page Last Updated 11 April 2022
320 Party vs. Yugoslavia
Wednesday, 7 May 1958
International Friendly Match

England 2 Portugal 1 [1-0]
Match Summary
England Party
Portugal Party

Team Records


The England World Cup Provisional Party May 1958
Player Birthdate Age Pos Club starts subs App Capt
A'Court, Alan 30 September 1934 23 OL Liverpool FC 1 0 1 1 0
Allen, Ronald 15 January 1929 29 CF West Bromwich Albion FC 5 0 5 2 0
Allen was chosen as a provisional party member only
Banks, Thomas 10 November 1929 28 LB Bolton Wanderers FC 0 0 0 0 0
Barlow, Ray J. 17 August 1926 31 LHB West Bromwich Albion FC 1 0 1 0 0
Barlow was chosen as a provisional party member only
Brabrook, Peter 8 November 1937 20 OR Chelsea FC 0 0 0 0 0
Brabrook was chosen as a provisional party member only, then as an Iron Curtain Tour member
Broadbent, Peter F. 15 May 1933 24 IR Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 0 0 0 0 0
Charlton, Robert 11 October 1937 20 IR Manchester United FC 1 0 1 1 0
Clamp, H. Edward 14 September 1934 23 RHB Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 0 0 0 0 0
Clayton, Ronald 5 August 1934 23 RHB Blackburn Rovers FC 18 0 18 0 0
Clough, Brian H. 21 March 1935 23 CF Middlesbrough FC 0 0 0 0 0
Deeley, Norman V. 30 November 1933 24 OR Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 0 0 0 0 0
Deeley was chosen as a provisional party member only
Douglas, Bryan 27 May 1934 23 OR Blackburn Rovers FC 4 0 4 1 0
Finney, Thomas 5 April 1922 36 OL Preston North End FC 70 0 70 28 0
Flowers, Ronald 28 July 1934 23 R/LHB Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 1 0 1 0 0
Flowers was chosen as a provisional party member only
Hall, Jeffrey J. 7 September 1929 29 RB Birmingham City FC 17 0 17 0 0
Hall was chosen as a provisional party member only
Harris, Gerald W. 8 October 1935 22 LB Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 0 0 0 0 0
Harris was chosen as a provisional party member only
Hayes. Joseph 20 January 1936 22 IL Manchester City FC 0 0 0 0 0
Hayes was chosen as a provisional party member only
Haynes, John N. 17 October 1934 23 IL Fulham FC 17 0 17 8 0
Hodgkinson, Alan 16 August 1936 21 GK Sheffield United FC 4 0 4 4ᵍᵃ 0
Hodgkinson was chosen as a provisional party member only
Hooper, Harry 14 June 1933 24 OR Birmingham City FC 0 0 0 0 0
Hooper was chosen as a provisional party member only
Hopkinson, Edward 29 October 1935 22 GK Bolton Wanderers FC 4 0 4 4ᵍᵃ 0
Howe, Donald 12 October 1935 22 FB West Bromwich Albion FC 4 0 4 0 0
Kevan, Derek T. 6 March 1935 23 CF West Bromwich Albion FC 4 0 4 3 0
Langley, E. James 7 February 1929 29 LB Fulham FC 1 0 1 0 0
Lofthouse, Nathaniel 27 August 1925 31 CF Bolton Wanderers FC 30 1 31 29 0
Lofthouse was chosen as a provisional party member only
McDonald, Colin A. 15 October 1930 27 GK Burnley FC 0 0 0 0ᵍᵃ 0
Matthews, Reginald D. 20 December 1932 25 GK Chelsea FC 5 0 5 5ᵍᵃ 0
Matthews was chosen as a provisional party member only
Norman, Maurice 21 January 1933 25 CHB Tottenham Hotspur FC 0 0 0 0 0
Parry, Raymond A. 19 January 1936 22 IL Bolton Wanderers FC 0 0 0 0 0
Parry was chosen as a provisional party member only
Pilkington, Brian 12 February 1933 25 OL Burnley FC 1 0 1 0 0
Pilkington was chosen as a provisional party member only
Robson, Robert W. 18 February 1933 25 IR West Bromwich Albion FC 1 0 1 2 0
Setters, Maurice E. 16 December 1936 21 RHB West Bromwich Albion FC 0 0 0 0 0
Setters was chosen as a provisional party member only
Sillett, R. Peter T. 1 February 1933 25 RB Chelsea FC 3 0 3 0 0
Slater, William J. 29 April 1927 30 LHB Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 3 0 3 0 0
Smith, Robert A. 22 February 1933 25 CF Tottenham Hotspur FC 0 0 0 0 0
Bobby Smith was chosen as a provisional party member only
Smith, Trevor 13 April 1936 22 CHB Birmingham City FC 0 0 0 0 0
Trevor Smith was chosen as a provisional party member only
Thompson, Thomas 10 November 1928 29 IF Preston North End FC 0 0 0 0 0
Thompson was chosen as a provisional party member only
Viollet, Dennis S. 20 September 1933 24 IL Manchester United FC 0 0 0 0 0
Viollet was chosen as a provisional party member only
Wheeler, John E. 26 July 1928 29 RHB Liverpool FC 1 0 1 0 0
Wheeler was chosen as a provisional party member only
Wright, William A. 6 February 1924 34 CHB Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 89 0 89 3 74

All information is complete to and including England's last match, the fourth of the 1957-58 season, against Scotland on 19 April 1958.


Wednesday, 3 July 1957 - It is confirmed that the England-Portugal international will be played at Wembley in May next year, the date set as 7 May.

Wednesday, 9 April 1958 -
"The England v. Portugal international at Wembley on Wednesday, May 7, will kick-off at 7.30, with the floodlights switched on if necessary."

Sunday, 20 April 1958
Sir,—The recent publication of the findings of the Press Council over scenes in the Munich Hospital about which you published a letter from me on February 11, makes me ask for a little more of your space. I have now read the full report of these findings, which, if unanswered, to a large extent discredit my observations about the conduct of photographers on the occasion of the disaster to the Manchester United Football Club.     I see no reason whatever to change the views I gave in my previous letter which you were good enough to publish. These views are fully confirmed by replies given by Dr. Maurer of the Rechts der Isar Hospital to a questionnaire addressed to him by the Press Council, I hope the Press Council will now publich that questionnaire and also Dr. Maurer's letter of reply.   Dr. Maurer has already indicated to me that he would have no objection to this being done and I think that the general public will agree that no one can possibly be in a better position than Dr. Maurer himself to prove or disprove the points I made in my letter.
    Yours faitfully,
    ANTHONY H. MILWARD, Chief Executive, British European Airways.
Keyline House, Ruislip, Middlesex.
Monday, 21 April 1958
Sir,—Mr. Anthony Milward may rest assured that the Press Council will consider his further letter about Press photographers, which you print to-day, and the Manchester United air disaster.
   The Council may wish to meet his desire that Professor Maurer's statement should
be published in full, but, in my judgment, if this is done the evidence of the photographers concerned must also be published in the interests of justice.
   Like Mr. Milward, Professor Maurer was not present at all the incidents described by the Press witnesses, It would be quite
   unfair to accept him as the sole or final authority on all that happened..
    Yours faithfully, 

    LINTON ANDREWS, Chairman of the Press Council.
Yorkshire Post Office, Leeds 1, April 21.
Tuesday, 22 April 1958 - The International Selection Committee, headed by Joe Mears, and with involvement from Team Manager Walter Winterbottom, have named a forty-man strong party from whom 22 players will be chosen for their World Cup Finals party in Sweden. Twenty of the party also include those travelling behind the Iron Curtain for the East European tour in Belgrade and Moscow, and the fourteen man party for the friendly match with Portugal at Wembley at the beginning of May.
Of the forty mean, thirteen come from the Black Country. League Champions Wolverhampton Wanderers providing seven, four of them half-backs, and neighbours West Bromwich Albion with six players. The team which beat Scotland on Saturday are included, and along with nine other players, make up the core of the travelling party to Yugoslavia and USSR.
The big surprise in the forty is the inclusion of Manchester United's Dennis Viollet, who has never played for England, and was one of the last players released from hospital following the Munich Air Disaster. And since then, has played one first team match and one reserve match. The list of forty has to be cut to 22 by 31 May.
The selectors also have a chance of watching the players against each other in a World Cup trial match at Stamford Bridge on 2 May when a 'full' team will face an under-23 team.

Saturday, 26 April 1958 - "For Wembley's next international Soccer date, England v. Portugal on May 7, there will be NO T.V. facilities granted unless the advance sales for the game top 60,000. Even the T.V. fee to be asked will be the highest ever for a Soccer international at Wembley, probably around the £10,000 mark. The Bold Bart, the boss of Wembley, Sir Bracewell Smith, has learned well from the the day T.V. sliced the Fulham-Manchester United semi-final replay attendance by a shock 30,000. The gate that day slumped to a mere 38,000. The entire match was televised live."
Tuesday, 28 April 1958

"A four man commission headed by German World War II air pilot, Judge Walter Stimpel, meets behind closed doors to find out what caused a British airliner to crash in Munich on February 6 killing eight Manchester United footballers and 15 others. In a fifth-floor conference room at Munich airport—a few hundred yards from the spot where the British European Airways Elizabethan plunged into the snow while taking off—the commander of the aircraft, Captain James Thain, will give evidence. A West German Civil Aviation official said no others of the 21 crash survivors are likely to be called. German and British experts will be asked for their opinions. The official said he could not say how many witnesses would be called, but it was hoped  to keep the number as low as possible. The Civil Air Attache at the British Embassy in Bonn, Mr. J. Banfield, will attend as an observer. The commission will have before it reports on three preliminary investigations carried out by the West German Civil Aviation Office, the Munich Public Prosecutor, and B.E.A. Reporters will not be admitted to the inquiry which is expected to last two days. The Commission will issue a brief communiqué when it ends. Other members of the commission are Professor G. Bock, of Darmstadt Technical College. Flight-Captain Walter Blume, aged 50, pilot of the West German Lufthansa Airline, and Captain Hans Reichel, chief accident investigator of the Federal Aviation Office. Before them on a long walnut table as the inquiry opened was a gleaming aluminium model of an Elizabethan and several plans and charts."
"When the commission adjourned for lunch, Captain Reichel said the morning session was taken up with his preliminary report and a detailed description of the crash by Captain Thain. Captain Thain's testimony was now complete, but he remained at the hearing to answer questions if necessary. Captain Reichel said the inquiry's task was 'not to determine guilt, but solely the cause of the accident.'"

Wednesday, 30 April 1958

"Aviation experts were questioned about the crash when a four-man commission resumed its private hearing to-day. It was understood that one of the experts would be Prof. Hermann Schlichting, director of Aerodynamics Institute Technical College. A West German meteorologist was also expected to give evidence. Capt. Hans Reichel told reporters that it is hoped to finish the inquiry to-day."

"The cause of the football-special Munich air disaster will never be known, it was announced in Munich to-day. It will be impossible to make a binding and final statement as to the cause of the tragedy, said Dr. Wilhelm Stimpel. He told a news conference that a number of new questions have cropped up during the first two days of the secret enquiry. The commission will meet again a month."
Thursday, 1 May 1958

"More scientific evidence is needed before a final judgment can be reached on the cause of the air crash, but engine failure is one of the possible causes which can be ruled out.  The statement was made to-day when the four-man commission adjourned after meeting for two and a half days. Five other possibilities which can also be discarded are other defects in the technical equipment of the aircraft, the condition of the fuel, loading and trim of the aircraft, flight safety control and meteorological services, and the airport and its equipment. It has also been determined that 'the buildings which lay outside the airport ground beyond the end of the runway, and into which the aircraft crashed after breaking through the airport fence, were permissible in the area.'
"It was revealed that the question whether the aircraft's wings had been iced up had been extensively discussed and in this connection a number of questions remained to be clarified.  After the reading the statement Judge Stimpel said the commission had gone through it with officials of British European Airways and they had taken no exception to the way it was phrased. There had been no differences during the enquiry. Later he said: 'The possibility that no explanation at all for the accident can be found cannot be excluded.' Another member of the commission, Capt. Reichel, said the aircraft was never airborne."

Friday, 2 May 1958 - World Cup Trial Match: England 4 England U23 Past & Present 2 - The Football Association decided to dispense with the over-thirties team and let the full international side (less the following day's FA Cup finalists) take on a "past and present" Young England. Three players were over the age of 23 (Broadbent, 24, Hall, 28 and Sillett, 25). Six of the eleven had senior appearances and all were included in the initial World Cup Party of forty players. Stamford Bridge hosted the match for the first time. England held the edge with their experience, but it wasn't a convincing performance.
England: Colin McDonald, Don Howe, Jim Langley, Ronnie Clayton, Billy Wright ͨ, Bill Slater, Bryan Douglas, Bobby Robson, Derek Kevan, Johnny Haynes, Tom Finney.
Young England: Alan Hodgkinson, Jeff Hall, Peter Sillett ͨ, Maurice Setters, Maurice Norman, Eddie Clamp, Peter Brabrook, Joe Hayes, Brian Clough, Peter Broadbent, Alan A'Court.

(Jimmy Greaves was replaced by Hayes)

"THERE were only eleven glum faces among the happy 40,000 who cheered on this entertaining Soccer showpiece at Stamford Bridge. The sad eleven were the Portuguese footballers who meet England at Wembley on Wednesday. And there were plenty of good reasons for their long, glum faces. England, awakening from a siesta start, produced some calm and measured football to defeat these eager young redshirts. Five of the six goals were in the five-star class. Only the last, two minutes from time—a tame, 18-yarder from Derek Kevan which Young England goalkeeper Alan Hodgkinson should have held—was in the ordinary category. England, with just two changes from the side that flattened the Scots at Hampden—Colin McDonald, of Burnley, deputising for Eddie Hopkinson in goal, and West Bromwich Albion's Bobby Robson for Bobby Charlton at inside-right—swept into the lead with a brilliant Tom Finney goal after 15 minutes. Tantalising Tom bobbed up at inside-right, showed Maurice Setters the ball, and then cheekily flicked it past him to cut through the middle and so coolly slipped it into the net past the advancing Hodgkinson. Seven minutes later Johnny Haynes scored with a terrific right-foot shot which rivalled Bobby Charlton's Hampden goal for pace and direction. To stop the big boys thinking they were in for a runaway, strolling win, Young England hit back with an equally fine goal in the 33rd minute. Brian Clough and Joe Hayes were the joint architects of this one, which the nimble Liverpool left-winger Alan A'Court slid in from eight yards range. Then minutes after the restart an upfield charge by Don Howe ended with Finney slipping across a perfect pass for that Blackburn wizard Bryan Douglas to neatly side-step Jeff Hall and crack home from close range. Again the Young England outfit hit back with an equally spectacular goal, and all the more credit to them that this one came when their left-half, Eddie Clamp, was off the field for four minutes with a blistered foot. Peter Brabrook, the Chelsea right-wing flyer, made this second goal with a 40-yard sprint and perfect cross to Clough, who so calmly and competently slid the ball in. Brabrook, who had made a shocking opening to this game before his home crowd, recouped lost prestige with several more thunderous runs down the wing which came within inches of an equaliser. Two minutes from time came that Kevan goal to make England's win look more decisive than it actually was."

Monday, 5 May 1958 - "An Austrian referee—F.Zeipelt—and two Austrian linesmen will officiate in the first international match between England and Russia in Moscow on Sunday, May 18. Next Sunday when England play Yugoslavia in Belgrade, a Hungarian referee, I. Zsolt, will be in charge with two Hungarian linesmen. An all-Belgian team of officials, with A. Alsteen as referee, will control the England-Portugal match at Wembley this Wednesday."

Manchester United's forward Bobby Charlton has been left out of the side that will face Milan in the European Cup semi-final on Thursday.  He is playing for England the night before and the F.A. will not release him from the World Cup party which leaves on Friday.
The England player's began training today, without Charlton, who has a day off following his appearance in the FA Cup Final on Saturday. In a practice match at The Bank of England sports ground in Roehampton, England beat a younger version of themselves 7—3.
Bobby Charlton joined the rest of his England teammates in the Hendon hotel in the evening.

Tuesday, 6 May 1958 - The England player's trained again today with a full compliment and no injury worries in Roehampton.

Tuesday, 6 May 1958

"Disclosures of evidence that Professor Georg Maurer submitted to the Press Council about the conduct of photographers and reporters were made to-night by Mr. J. Matthews, secretary of the trade union side of the National Joint Council for Civil Air Transport. In a letter to the members of the 17 unions represented on the council he recalled that Mr. Anthony Milward had been attacked in the Daily Express for making utterly unfounded charges. 'It is a fact which was known to the Press Council that Professor Maurer sent a communication to the Press Council which fully supported the views of Mr. Milward, for Professor Maurer, in his communication, stated: '. . .each day approximately 20 news photographers representing newspapers and agencies unfamiliar to me, among them British nationals, appeared in the immediate neighbourhood of the emergency ward and the operating wards. The doctors and nursing staff were at times extremely hindered in fulfilling their work due
to the presence of the Press. Finally, in the interests of the injured I had to forbid these reporters forcing their way, without authority, into the hospital rooms in order to take pictures of those fighting with death. As numerous newspaper articles will prove, these pictures were taken in spite of my numerous protests. In the end I also had to forbid photographs being taken of those patients with slighter injuries who had not objected to having their picture taken. It is not at all the practice to invite Press photographers into the wards of our hospital. No permission was granted to them; on the contrary, o begin with, I absolutely prohibited any Press photography. I can confirm that Dr. Buchanan Barbour and Dr. Frank S. Preston, of B.E.A., raised protests against photographs being taken, I was in complete agreement with these two gentlemen and the chief executive of B.E.A. that it should not be permissible to photograph seriously injured people so that they might be recognised.  When a whole pack of
 photographers of all nationalities were about to enter the emergency ward of the seriously injured I expressly asked the present gentlemen of B.E.A. to impress upon their countrymen the impossibility of their behaviour—which they did. All the same, I cannot help but comment on the fact that these photographers nevertheless found ways and means to get their pictures. During this encounter between representatives of B.E.A., Press photographers, and myself which took place in one of the corridors of the hospital. Professor Dr. Kessel, the neuro-surgeon of the hospital, who is a British subject, was also present. At my request he asked the members of the Press in English to leave the hospital in the interests of the injured. When finally I found it impossible to rid myself of the swarms of reporters I was forced to issue, on February 17, 1958, an order, as a result of which the influx of reporters appreciably lessened.
Wednesday, 7 May 1958

"SIR LINTON ANDREWS, chairman of the Press Council, said in a statement that the council was convinced that British reporters at photographers at Munich were not guilty of intrusion, as alleged by Mr. A. Milward. Replying to an allegation by Mr. J. Matthews that evidence submitted to the Press Council by Prof. Georg Maurer 'fully supported' the views of Mr. Milward. Sir Linton said: 'The version issued by Mr. Matthews is incomplete.' Mr. Matthews made the allegation in a letter to members of the 17 unions represented on his council. Mr. Matthews was quoted as saying that he had received from Prof. Maurer a copy of his evidence. Sir Linton Andrews said that the question of whether the whole of the surgeon's evidence should be published was not under consideration. Prof. Maurer's statement was a confidential document, running to many thousands of words, and the council's private property. Reporters and photographers, said Mr. Linton, were not merely permitted but encouraged by some members of the hospital staff to take photographs after the disaster. 'The Press Council received detailed statements from 14 reporters and photographers who were on duty at Munich. It was convinced that they were not guilty of any intrusion as alleged by Mr. Anthony Milward, and were in fact, not merely permitted but encouraged by some members of the hospital staff to take photographs. The British photographers, of whom there were six, acted in full accordance with what they understood to be the desires of the hospital.'"

"Commander Maydon, the Conservative M.P. for Wells, said to-night that the press Council's findings seemed incredible when read alongside the extracts of Professor Maurer's evidence. 'The first finding says that the council accepts the evidence that British Press photographers were invited into the wards to take pictures and were given facilities for that purpose. They also said: 'We do not believe that any of them forced their way into the wards.' It is clear from Dr. Maurer's evidence that some of them had been permitted to take photographs of the less injured men but it is also clear that some had also forced their way in to take photographs indiscriminately, without permission. Secondly, the Press Council stated: 'We believe Mr. Anthony Milward was not aware of all of the facts and was given the wrong impression.' The impression which Mr. Milward's letter made on my mind is almost identical with the impression made  by  the   evidence  given  to   the Council by Dr. Maurer and, apparently, for reasons best known to themselves, suppressed. Thirdly, the Press Council 'deplore that so many people assumed that Mr. Milward's complaint in The Times was unanswerable . . .' Dr. Maurer's evidence confirms how difficult that complaint is to answer. I think The Times deserves credit for its courage in pursuing this matter and publishing this further evidence which otherwise  would have been suppressed.'"

"Les Olive, 29, has been appointed secretary of Manchester United in succession to the late Walter Crickmer."

England Form: last six games
W D W L W W  f 19:a success: 75%
313 15 May 1957 - Denmark 1 England 4 [1-1]
Idrætsparken, København (35,000-50,000)
Haynes, Taylor (2), Atyeo
314 19 May 1957 -
Republic of Ireland
1 England 1 [1-0]
Dalymount Park, Dublin
315 19 October 1957 - Wales 0 England 4 [0-2]
Ninian Park, Cardiff (58,000)
Hopkins OG, Haynes (2), Finney BC AW
316 6 November 1957 -
England 2 Northern Ireland 3
Empire Stadium, Wembley (40,000)
A'Court, Edwards
Hopkinson OG, McCrory, Simpson
317 27 November 1957 - England 4 France 0 [3-0]
Empire Stadium, Wembley (64,349)
Taylor (2), Robson (2) Fr HW
318 19 April 1958 - Scotland 0 England 4 [0-2]
Hampden Park, Glasgow
Douglas, Kevan (2), Charlton BC AW