England Football Online
Results 1955-1960                    Page Last Updated 11 March 2024


287 vs. Hungary
339 vs. Yugoslavia
previous match (4 days) 
340 vs. Spain
previous match (3 hours)
'U23' 24 vs. Israel

next match (122 days)
'U23' u/o vs BK Velje
next senior match (139 days)
342 vs. Northern Ireland
359 vs. Hungary

5 The Long Way Home 5.30 Safari
Sunday Special 6.10 News
Football: Hungary vs. England
Meeting Point 7.40 News 7.45 Perry Como Music Hall
Sunday, 22 May 1960
End of Season East-European Tour Match

Hungary 2 England 0
This week's Music Charts

Népstadion, Istvánmezõ, Budapest
Kick-off (CEST & BST): 5.30pm
Attendance: '90,000';
Hungary kicked off Johnny Haynes won the toss
[0-0] János Dunai shot hits the post 30
[0-0] Florian Albert volley hits the crossbar 31
[0-0] goal scored disallowed:offside
[1-0] Flórián Albert 50
 'a János Göröcs through ball into the England penalty area. Swan and Armfield were there with Albert, but a cruel break on the ball gave it to the forward. He promptly hit it right-footed into the  back of the net.'
[2-0] Flórián Albert 75
 'Albert was through after Robson and Swan failed to intercept a ball from János Dunai, he calmly shuffled sideways and created a gap to slam in a right-footed shot.'
second half live - commentator: Kenneth Wolstenholme
"...DISASTER" Daily Mirror
Officials from Italy Hungary FIFA ruling on substitutes England Party
Referee (black)
Concetto Lo Bello
36 (13 May 1924) Syracuse
THE FACTS as reported in the Daily News...
Corners—to Hungary 7, to England 5. Off-side—by Hungary 7, England 5.
Shots—Hungary 18, England 16. Free-kicks—against Hungary 11, against England 12.
Guiseppe Adami
Raoul Righi
Hungary Team
Rank No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 3rd
Colours Cherry red v-necked jerseys, white shorts, white socks with green/red tops.
Captain Gyula Grosics Team Manager Lajos Baróti, 45 (19 August 1914), appointed December 1957.
team announced Sunday, 15 May
21st match, W 12 - D 4 - L 5 - F 50 - A 26.
Hungary Lineup
1 Grosics, Gyula 34
108 days
4 February 1926 G Budapest Honvéd SE 64 57ᵍᵃ
2 Mátrai, Sándor 27
184 days
20 November 1932 RB Ferencvárosi TC 26 0
3 Sipos, Ferenc 27
161 days
13 December 1932 LB MTK Budapest FC 25 0
4 Dalnoki, Jenõ 27
162 days
12 December 1932 RHB Ferencvárosi TC 6 0
5 Bundzsák, Dezsõ 32
19 days
3 May 1928 CHB Vasas SC 21 1
6 Kotász, Antal 30
264 days
1 September 1929 LHB Budapest Honvéd SE 27 0
7 Sándor, Károly 31
178 days
26 November 1928 OR MTK Budapest FC 43 19
Göröcs, János 21
24 days
8 May 1939 IR Újpest FC 14 6
Albert, Flórián 18
250 days
15 September 1941 CF Ferencvárosi TC 7 7
Dunai, János 22
331 days
26 June 1937 IL Pécsi Munkás SC 1 0
only app 1960
11 Rákosi, Gyula 21
226 days
9 October 1938 OL Ferencvárosi TC 1 0
reserves: not known
pre-match notes: On Thursday, 19 May, the Hungarians beat a Third Division side 10-1 a few miles outside Budapest (Dunai scored four of them).
team changes: When the team line-up was announced, the inside-left position was to be between Dunai or Lajos Tichy. Tichy lost his place when he was admitted to hospital with concussion a week before this match took place.
2-3-5 Grosics -
Mátrai, Sipos -
Dalnoki, Bundzsák, Kotász -
Sándor, Göröcs, Albert, Dunai, Rákosi
Averages: Age 26 years 306 days Appearances/Goals 21.4 2.8
England Team
Rank No official ranking system established;
ELO rating 9th to 10th
Colours The 1959 Bukta home uniform - White v-necked short-sleeved continental jerseys, blue shorts, red socks with white calf hoop.
P 6th of 38, W 1 - D 2 - L 3 - F 7 - A 12.

Johnny Haynes Manager Walter Winterbottom, 47 (31 March 1913), appointed as FA national director of coaching/team manager on 8 July 1946;
2nd of 22, W 0 - D 0 - L 2 - F 0 - A 5. Trainer: Harold Shepherdson P 115th of 139, W 63 - D 28 - L 24 - F 307 - A 167, one abandoned.
  The team chosen by the Selection Committee, headed by Harold Shentall, on Thursday, 19 May, at Lake Balataon.
England Lineup
  two changes from the previous match (Viollet, Douglas>Greaves, Brabrook) league position (20 April)  
  Springett, Ronald D. 24
305 days
22 July 1935 G Sheffield Wednesday FC (FL 4th) 5 10ᵍᵃ
2 Armfield, James C. 24
244 days
21 September 1935 RB Blackpool FC (FL 11th) 8 0
3 Wilson, Ramon 25
155 days
17 December 1934 LB Huddersfield Town AFC (FL2 7th) 4 0
4 Robson, Robert W. 27
94 days
18 February 1933 RHB West Bromwich Albion FC (FL 5th) 7 2
5 Swan, Peter 23
227 days
8 October 1936 CHB Sheffield Wednesday FC (FL 4th) 3 0
6 Flowers, Ronald 25
295 days
28 July 1934 LHB Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (FL TOP) 15 2
7 Douglas, Bryan 25
361 days
27 May 1934 OR Blackburn Rovers FC (FL 17th) 14 2
8 Haynes, John N. 25
218 days
17 October 1934 IR Fulham FC (FL 10th) 36 14
9 Baker, Joseph H. 19
310 days
17 July 1940 CF Hibernian FC, Scotland (SL 7th) 5 1
792 10 Viollet, Dennis S. 26
245 days
20 September 1933 IL Manchester United FC (FL 8th) 1 0
the 22nd United player to represent England
11 Charlton, Robert 22
217 days
11 October 1937 OL Manchester United FC (FL 8th) 18 13
reserves: Alan Hodgkinson (Sheffield United FC (FL2 5th)), Don Howe (West Bromwich Albion FC (FL 5th)), Tony Knapp (Leicester City FC (FL 13th)), Ronnie Clayton (Blackburn Rovers FC (FL 17th)), Peter Brabrook & Jimmy Greaves (Chelsea FC (FL 12th)).
team records: England have not won in Budapest since May 1909.
Johnny Haynes becomes the fifth most used post-war/Winterbottom/ISC player.
Ron Flowers is the 25th player in the same period to have made fifteen England appearances.
goalscoring records: As a result of the last England goal being scored eleven days and two matches ago, both Bobby Charlton and Jimmy Greaves ended the season as top goalscorers with two goals each of the nine in total scored by England. It is the second season running that Charlton has topped the chart.
Not since 1954-55 have there been so few different goalscorers (7), and not since 1925-26 (6) have England failed to score more than ten goals in a season.
2-3-5 Springett -
Armfield, Wilson -
Robson, Swan, Flowers -
Douglas, Haynes, Baker, Viollet, Charlton
Averages: Age 24 years 278 days Appearances/Goals 10.5 3.1
              Match Report by Mike Payne

THE late afternoon sun shone down as England continued their tour with a visit to Budapest, Hungary's side of 1960 did not live up to the level of their magnificent predecessors of the early '50s but another gem of a player has been produced in the shape of the tall, lean form of Albert at centre-forward. At 18 years old, the youngster gave a thrilling display in a good match which also saw England have their moments.

Indeed, England played quite well although once again their lack of thrust up front let them down. But they mad an excellent start and dominated the first 25 minutes. Bobby Charlton saw his flashing shot saved by Grosics and then Bryan Douglas had an effort pushed away by the goalkeeper following a good move involving Johnny Haynes, Joe Baker, Douglas himself and Charlton.

England kept up the pressure and Douglas again made a good run, going outside his marker before shooting just wide of the far post. Then in the 25th minute, another good attack involving Charlton, Haynes, Dennis Viollet and Douglas ended with a free-kick that Ron Flowers fired just wide.

It was at this point that Albert began to show his pedigree. First of all, he forced Ron Springett into a brilliant save with a header; then a superb flowing run took him past Peter Swan, Jimmy Armfield and Ray Wilson, only for his shot to be blocked. Soon afterwards, following good work by Sándor and Dunai, Albert hit a tremendous volley which crashed against England's crossbar. Despite these anxious moments England were still very much in the match at half-time.

The turning point of this particular game probably came three minutes into the second half. Flowers sent Charlton streaking away down the left-wing. Over came his centre and Haynes jumped with Grosics and other defenders. Everyone missed the ball and with Grosics grovelling around on the floor, Baker was left with an open goal some eight yards out. Incredibly, he managed to shoot over the bar and the chance was gone.

It was doubly disappointing as within three minutes of that incident, the Hungarians swept forward to take the lead. A long through pass was picked up by Albert, who beat Swan before firing an unstoppable shot into the top corner of England's net.

England tried to hit back and a lovely pass by Viollet sent Charlton away again. With the winger cutting in at great speed an equaliser looked a distinct possibility. But right at the death, a brilliant saving tackle by Mátrai kept Charlton out.

As the action continued in this entertaining game, Springett made another fine save, this time from Sándor. Then Armfield kicked off the goal-line a shot by Albert, whilst at the other end Charlton was narrowly wide with another fierce effort.

With 15 minutes to go, the decisive moment duly arrived to settle the result. Dunai put Albert through the centre and again the superb youngster cleverly outwitted Swan and Bobby Robson to shoot home left footed, And that,, as they say, was that!

Some good performances for England, had come out of this tour, notably in a defence which seemed to be taking shape nicely, but there were still some obvious problems which must be overcome if they were, once again, to make a serious world challenge.


              Match Report by Norman Giller

England missed a sackful of goals because of feeble finishing, but the approach play was an encouraging sign of things to come. They might easily have had the ball in the Hungarian net at least three times in the first-half, but the chances were wasted. Flórián Albert, Hungary's new eighteen-year-old centre-forward discovery, scored both goals in the second-half. Dennis Viollet, Manchester United's quick and clever inside-forward, won the first of two caps. With better luck, he might have marked his debut with two goals. It was England's third and final close-season tour match and though they came home without a victory there was a feeling of optimism that better things were round the corner.

              Match Report as appears in the F.A. Yearbook 1960-61 page 38

Douglas was recalled in place of Brabrook and Viollet took over from Greaves. The 90,000 spectators were eager to see if their present-day team could recapture the glory of former years. But they were disappointed for Hungary were little better than England in a game that was exciting at times but lacking in skill. many passes went astray on both sides and mistakes by the English defence enabled Albert to score two goals in the second half and give the home country the win they just about deserved. For England, Springett and Wilson were good in defence but both Armfield and Swan had their misfortunes. In attack Charlton showed much of his old brilliance and was a thorn in the Hungarian defence throughout, but the other forwards were disappointing; Haynes was again a good captain but spent a great deal of time in defence.

Other Football Results   
Under-23 International:
Israel 4 England 0
National Stadium, Ramat Gan (35,000)
Levi (2 (1 pen)), Glazer, Menchel
Israel fielded their full international side.
  In the inaugural European Nations Cup quarter-finals, Czechoslovakia beat Romania 2-0 in the first leg in Bucharest, whilst Yugoslavia beat Portugal 5-1 in the second leg in Belgrade.

Tour matches included, in West Germany, Blackburn Rovers drawing 2-2 with a Rhineland XI in Ludwigshafen, and Bolton Wanderers winning 3-2 in Stuttgart (Roy Hartle was sent off). Sheffield United won 3-2 against Groningen in the Netherlands, whilst Newcastle United lost 3-2 to Hajduk Split, and HIbernian beat Rijeka 3-1 (both in Yugoslavia, now Croatia). Manchester United beat Heart of Midlothian 3-0 (Pearson, Dawson 2) in New York (reported by The Times as 13-0!) and Blackpool won 7-1 against a Northern Rhodesia XI (now Zambia) in Nkana.

        In Other News....
It was on 22 May 1960 that eight people were killed when a wooden footbridge collapsed onto the Formula Junior race track at Aix-les-Bains in France. Over fifty people were on it and the car lying in third place, driven by a 29-year-old former airline pilot from Woking in Surrey, Chris Threlfall, crashed into the wreckage at about 105 miles per hour. He was killed instantly, as were four spectators, with another three dying later in hospital from their injuries. Four years earlier, Threlfall had been involved in another crash, in Belgium, where five spectators were killed, and just over a week after his death, an aluminium scaffolding tower collapsed at the Indianapolis 500 race in the United States, and two more spectators were killed.
              Source Notes
Original newspaper reports
The Complete Book of the British Charts
  Rothman's Yearbooks
Mike Payne's England: The Complete Post-War Record
Norman Giller, Football Author
British Pathé